Menu

Anyone Going to HEAV?

i'm going for the first time and i can't wait...any tips? i know it's huge and wonderful and all that...what do we need to pack? most importantly, how do we eat there?

From the HEAV website:

FOOD & MEALS

Q: May we bring food with us?

A: You are welcome to bring food to eat in your hotel room, and you may request a mini-refrigerator when you make your hotel reservation. However, according to the Greater Richmond Convention Center's rules, no food may be brought into the Richmond Center from outside sources. (Good news! Our understanding is that the new Hilton Garden Inn, a stone's throw from the Richmond Center, includes small refrigerators and microwaves in all their rooms. More details to come!)

Q: Where can we get something to eat?

A: There are several options:

Richmond Center

Cafeteria (Exhibit Hall Building, Second Floor)

Concessions throughout the buildings

Marriott

Blue Fire Steakhouse

Starbucks Café (Serves a limited menu; not all Starbucks' items are available.)

The Onyx Lounge

Hilton Garden Inn

Great American Grill

Local Fare

Go to the Information & Security booth and pickup a list of nearby restaurants, as well as driving directions to places further away. (Some restaurants may offer discounts for customers from our convention.)

ALSO:

http://www.everydayhomemaking.com/articles/enjoy_state_convention.html

An article from last year:

http://www.heav.org/resources/articles/making-the-most-of-the-convention.html

And, finally, about buying used curriculum:

http://www.heav.org/resources/articles/navigatingtheusedcurriculumroute.html

I'll be there! Can't wait to hear Voddie Baucham and Flo Feldman!

I have an option for cheap eating while obeying the rules of the convention center. I pack our lunch and we picnic outside. You could leave it in your car if you are parked close to the convention hall. But, since I always bring a small pullman suitcase for my purchases, I just pack our food in that. Not only is it less expensive, it is also more relaxing, as the concession areas get pretty crowded. The other thing I should mention is that the convention center is kept very cold. Even people who are not usually cold natured get uncomfortable in there. I dress in layers so that I can strip some off to go outside. If you haven't looked at the workshop descriptions yet, it's a good idea to check them out now and decide which ones you want to attend. Also, you may want to look at the list of vendors and make some notes about who you specifically want to talk to and what questions you may have for the reps.

I will be there Thursday night and again Sat morning :-)

Food is expensive and I brought my own last year. Although you aren't supposed to eat it in the convention hall.

It can get cold. I am always hot but get chilly there.

As for what to bring? Something to put all those catalogs into! I know many use a rolling cart but last year I used a backpack b/c some of the vendors have small spaces to walk and a cart had to be left outside of the area so you could browse things. But by the end of the day a backpack is heavy....so you need to decide what you want to do ....they sell rolling carts there :-)

I'm going on Friday!! Then heading to Virginia Beach for my niece's baby shower.

I preregistered, too...and several months ago. Haven't received anything yet, which is unusual. Typically, you do receive a confirmation letter in the mail, and it tells you your admission time for the used book sale. The earlier you registered, the earlier you're admitted, but I haven't received anything as of Saturday.

I'll be bringing a cart on wheels for my purchases. I picked it up years ago at Costco, just for the convention! I used to use a suitcase on wheels, but the cart is much easier, as I don't have to stop and unzip it after every purchase!

I second the recommendation that you bring a sweater or light jacket.

And, as far as the crowds, Thursday is typically the lightest, and Friday is the second lightest. Saturday is the most crowded and I usually avoid Saturday if at all possible.

And, as far as the crowds, Thursday is typically the lightest, and Friday is the second lightest. Saturday is the most crowded and I usually avoid Saturday if at all possible.

That's what I thought. Poo. We went Thursday last year, and it was nice. I got to browse to my heart's content.

Dh wants to go Sat so he can hear the speaker and not have to take off from work. Decisions, decisions.

That's what I thought. Poo. We went Thursday last year, and it was nice. I got to browse to my heart's content.

Dh wants to go Sat so he can hear the speaker and not have to take off from work. Decisions, decisions.

If he's going with you, then go on Saturday! I thought you'd be trying to manage an 18 month old and shopping, by yourself! If he's there for assistance, I think you'll be fine!

Have fun! :)

Confirmation is by email this year. You should have heard something by now. I got my confirmation on June 4th. Check your spam folder if you haven't heard or call 804-278-9200.

This is the first year they did confirmation through email so there were a few glitches. Call if you haven't heard.

Confirmation is by email this year. You should have heard something by now. I got my confirmation on June 4th. Check your spam folder if you haven't heard or call 804-278-9200.

This is the first year they did confirmation through email so there were a few glitches. Call if you haven't heard.

Thank you so much!!!!

The confirmation was in my hubby's email account! I'm all set to go now!

Uh Oh. If there was a line for an email address, I must have missed that! I don't remember writing it on the registration form at all. I better call or email them if nothing comes in tomorrow's mail.

Uh Oh. If there was a line for an email address, I must have missed that! I don't remember writing it on the registration form at all. I better call or email them if nothing comes in tomorrow's mail.

I just checked the registration form and there is a place to write your email address - hopefully you just forgot about filling that in. In any case, you can call on Monday - I'm sure it will not be a problem if you forgot. They'll just ask for it over the phone and send your confirmation along then.

We were going on Saturday... but now, dh got off and we're going tomorrow!

I haven't gone in 2-3 years... it will be so nice to go again.

I don't plan on going to any of the seminars, but I need to check the website to see.

Lisa