Menu

Recommendations for history after SOTW?

Bells

My 11 yo dd has done the four volumes of SOTW and two years of History Odyssey. HO is a great concept but too open-ended for my teaching style. Any suggestions for a world history program - perhaps Streams of Civilization, other?? Thanks!

Do you want Christian content? If so, then you might consider My Father's World's history cycle beginning with Creation to the Greeks. (I'm assuming you have 4 years left until high school, right?) They do schedule SOTW, not volume 1, but they use 2, 3 and 4. But they also schedule many other resources as well, so it would be different the next time through those books. Or you could just skip 'em.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/2-8_home.htm#fiveyear

Editing to say there are sample lessons for each year on the website, and they have message boards, too. Here's a link directly to the "Choosing Curriculum" archive forum: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=8

I second the Mystery of History if you're Christian minded. My kids loved the first half of the first volume we got through last year. We've decided, because it's so slow going and there are so many more things we can do with it as they get older, to pick it back up in high school. It is for all ages, though. I like Geurber's too; but, I haven't found any other resources to go with it by way of assignments, projects, discussions, or assessments, if you'd need that.