Menu

Booklist ? #2 : top 20 - 50 books kids should read?

I'm looking for both classics and more modern, but not dark, hopeless angst-filled, at least not at this time in our lives. I read voraciously as a child, as there was nothing else to do, so to me all books are all treasures. I need help narrowing down to the must reads.

Ds (12 yo dyslexic) has suddenly hatched into a reader, a voracious reader, where before he would struggle through what he had to read. he is still struggling and reads slowly, but there is joy in his reading! :cool:

Older ds transitioned this way with the Ralph Moody books, but this one doesn't really care for them.

I'd also really appreciate some suggestions for books about inspirational or heroic figures.

Thank you!

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (the other two books in the series are good but not as good)

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (I don't know if I would say top 20-50 books for children, but the books in this series are good to capture a boy that age's attention and make him want to read.)

Those are the first that come to mind.