Menu

Art (paint, draw, etc) for K?

RootAnn

Does anyone know of a good book that has different art activities for 5-7 yr old age groups? My daughter really wants to do something 'arty' for kindergarten and I am not at all this type of person.

I am looking for something with 20+ activities possibly including watercolor, painting (with acrylic?), drawing, clay (playdoh?), etc. I am not really looking for "other craft" things in the book but, of course, it is okay if they are included.

Thanks in advance.

My son was/is really past the phase where he wants the prescool-y books. If I am going to sit down with him he wants to do something new and clever, with new ideas. This may be because I allow him to get out play doh, watercolors on his own anytime - he doesn't need to ask. They both have a craft cabinet and can often be found using googly eyes, glue, construction paper, old boxes, pipe cleaner and watercolors to their hearts' content!!! This, in my mind, is the best way to go for K.

Now that we are heading into first I got my hands on Discovering Great Artists and it's exactly what we needed. Last year we had artistic pursuits and it was a little intense for that age(for us anyway) What I love about Discovering Great Artists is that there is a simple lesson, look at the picture, then you give them an idea and let them run with it. It's a little simpler and easier to implement and a little less outcome-based than Artistic Pursuits. I hope to move into Artistic Pursuits in two years, when my youngest is first grade or second grade.

Right now I am keeping art separate for my 4 and 6 (next year 5 and 7) because really they are just so different and I think art is very much dependent on motor skills, and visual readiness.

So I suggest that you try out either just having a WELL stocked Craft Cabinet and letting your dd total freedom with it (but be sure not to allow anything really messy such as glitter or real tempera paints in there!) and if you're past that already try Discovering Great Artists- or maybe take a peek at it at the convention or bookstore.

:o)

They both have a craft cabinet and can often be found using googly eyes, glue, construction paper, old boxes, pipe cleaner and watercolors to their hearts' content!!! This, in my mind, is the best way to go for K.

:o)

You are WAAAAY more brave than I am. I have the playdoh way up high in a closet and don't get it out very much. A few of the things suggested look like what I have in mind, so I appreciate it. So many of the things out there are pricey and have more than what I have time/want to do, but I do want her to have fun in K. She has requested coloring, painting, etc. but if I don't have some sort of 'idea generator', I won't actually get around to letting her do art. Thanks!

How Great Thou Art makes some very cute art books and I've been impressed by the quality of their products. My kids will be doing I Can Do All Things this fall, at ages 6 and 7, and my youngest will be 4 and I got him Baby Lambs Book of Art. There are several ideas here for 5-7 year olds:

http://www.howgreatthouart.com/ProductPage1.asp?CategoryID=1

Singapore has some fun and inexpensive art instruction books for that age. They give a short lessons on an art concept like colors or pattern, then there is a worksheet, then instructions for an art project that always uses easy to get materials.

Funny, I had forgotten about these books entirely. I found them out in my garage a few minutes ago then came in and saw your post :)

Usborne Art Treasury is a really good book...The first 2-page spread of each "lesson" has a famous artwork and short and sweet info about the artist, etc. The following 2-page spread has instructions and pictures for making a similar style of art...so it includes art history, art appreciation, and art making in one simple to use book--there are several artists and lessons included in the book and I have successfully used it in our co-op with grade K and up!