Menu

Extending RS4K Pre-Chem?

Jenmomof3

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what do you use along with RS4K Pre-Chem 1 to make it stretch an entire year? I think RS4K will be a perfect, gentle start to chemistry for my 7 y.o.s, but it only lasts 10 weeks. What else do you use for the other part of the year?

TIA,

I didn't use RSK4 Chem but I did look at their table of contents for putting together my own chemistry study for my 2nd and 3rd graders. A good book to follow up with is Fizz, Bubble and Flash. It is a book that explores the periodic table and the different families of elements. There are 10 families w/several elements w/in each family highlighted and experiments to perform to better understand their properties. You could do a different family each week plus in the beginning spend a week learning about Dmitri Mendeleev and how the Periodic Table was developed. I think the book helps kids understand that chemistry is all around us and in many of the products they use everyday. My kids really enjoyed this part of our chemistry study. The book is written in a fun and easy to understand language. I also made up some games to help them remember some of the elements and their symbols. One of my boys has said he wants to be a chemist he enjoyed our study so much! I hope you have fun w/Chemistry next year!

Thanks so much for the ideas. I looked at the lapbook and Fizz, Bubble, and Flash that goes with it before, but wasn't sure if it would be a good fit. So glad to hear good reviews. I will have to look at it again. Thanks for the yahoo group suggestion too. I will have to check it out.

Anyone else with other ideas for me to research?