Menu

Talk to me about Sonlight Language Arts...

Id like to hear what you all think about Sonlight's new language arts. Is there any busy work? How's the grammar coverage? Does it include diagramming? Do you like the assignments? Does it make life easier to use Sonlight's LA if you use SL because things are better tied together?

Anything you can share would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Anita

This won't be tremendously useful, but it's a scrap of feedback, at least.

I tried the "new" approach with LA-2-Advanced (wrong title, but perhaps you can determine what I mean) and LA-3. Never have seen any other level. Very bad fit -- for us. Do you use the Sonlight boards? There always was a lot of discussion there about the changes, and many people trying hard to help teachers (such as I) who were lost at sea (and who were cranky as a result !).

The closest thing that I can offer as comparison is LLATL, as the material is embedded into the daily lesson. (For Sonlight, apparently without rhyme nor reason for scope-and-sequence, to my eye). (LLATL specifies what is intended.) If a child does not have a strong LA background (grammar and formal writing), the Sonlight expectations are frustratingly high.

P.S. By "tied together", do you refer to the Core 3 and upward direct correlation of the LA to the history component? I guess that is a good thing if you are using a "complete Core" for school. It is not so good a thing if you want, for some reason, to use Sonlight LA as a standalone.

The "old" Sonlight LA (of which I have LA-2, Advanced) is more "traditional" in the sense that grammar was set apart onto the yellow worksheets. Spelling words were listed for each week. ("New" Sonlight uses that "Sequential Spelling" program which, too, left us ice-cold.)

In general, I think Sonlight LA is very difficult to slip into from using a different program.

Sure wish I could help more effectively. Really, the Sonlight boards are your best resource, if you already are using the program.

P.S. When you refer to "tied together", do you mean how with Core 3 and upward the LA correlate directly with the history portion? That is perhaps a good thing if you are using a "complete Core". It may not be so good if, for some reason, you want to use Sonlight LA as a stand-alone.

Edited by Orthodox6

We used Sonlight LA this year, old LA 1 (2004) and new LA 3 (as in 2008). I even changed curriculum halfway thru the year and continued with LA 3 anyway. I found that SL LA is mostly developing writing skills... Often the assignments were writing descriptive paragraphs, use of adjectives in a specific way, etc more like putting grammar to the test...

Brainstorming, analyzing word usage, outlining, organizing thoughts and then writing paragraphs with a theme from a SL book weer all included. It was not difficult to adjust for different books for the latter part of the year, but it is helpful and I would not recommend it as a stand alone. SL LA 3 was more conducive to adjustments than maybe LA 4 would be... I understand the higher LA programs are more intertwined with the readers than LA 3 and lower.

HTH,

Thanks, ladies! I was referring to the Core 3 on up were things correlate with readers and I am using complete cores. I, too, don't think that I would think it would be good to use SL LA w/o also using a Core with it.

Anyone else out there have any thoughts on this?

Anita

Thanks, ladies! I was referring to the Core 3 on up were things correlate with readers and I am using complete cores. I, too, don't think that I would think it would be good to use SL LA w/o also using a Core with it.

Anyone else out there have any thoughts on this?

Anita

I've used the old Sonlight LA (didn't like it) and then tried the "new" this year with Core 3. It had some good assignments in it (like the writing assignments) but it ended up not being "enough" for us and too "random". The actual grammar learning seemed to "hop" from one thing to another without a flow for us. We use Rod & Staff anyhow, so we ended up tossing the Sonlight & just using the Rod & Staff. I have tried both the old and new LA and for now will not get it again. I really wanted it to work for us, but it just didn't. I know there are those that love it, and don't want to offend but this is my honest opinion for our experience. I wanted it to work for the dictation and creative writing but it just didn't flow for us.

I've used the old Sonlight LA (didn't like it) and then tried the "new" this year with Core 3. It had some good assignments in it (like the writing assignments) but it ended up not being "enough" for us and too "random". The actual grammar learning seemed to "hop" from one thing to another without a flow for us. We use Rod & Staff anyhow, so we ended up tossing the Sonlight & just using the Rod & Staff. I have tried both the old and new LA and for now will not get it again. I really wanted it to work for us, but it just didn't. I know there are those that love it, and don't want to offend but this is my honest opinion for our experience. I wanted it to work for the dictation and creative writing but it just didn't flow for us.

Well, I have actually heard more people say they don't like SL LA. I'm sensing that there isn't much actual grammar in it, and I do want my dd to go over grammar again next year well. I am thinking even if I do use SL LA, which I want to as I like the idea of it correlating with the readers, I will have to add in something like Our Mother Tongue perhaps. I want her to do some diagramming again next year and really get grammar down. OMT is recommended by Ambleside. We used Galore Park this year, and we love it, but it is kind of light on grammar.

I'll probably buy the SL LA and just see how it goes and add in the grammar program as SL recommends doing Grammar Ace I think, but I know nothing about that.

Thanks everyone!

Anita

Id like to hear what you all think about Sonlight's new language arts. Is there any busy work? How's the grammar coverage? Does it include diagramming? Do you like the assignments? Does it make life easier to use Sonlight's LA if you use SL because things are better tied together?

Anything you can share would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Anita

Anita,

SL LA is based on the principles of Ruth Beechick, she even consulted on the LA re-write. She doesn't believe in focusing on grammar every year, or on mastery of grammar. She focuses instead on reading good books, and developing an ear for good language. She recommends covering grammar for one year in Jr. High and again for a year in High School. No diagramming. There is also a lot of focus on creative writing.

If you like the natural language approach, but want more grammar it isn't difficult to add a grammar program to SL LA, but if you want mastery of grammar SL won't do it for you.

I don't know if it makes life easier to have everything tied together, but I do like it. Though I use SL LA (the old LA that has more dictation) through level 2 then move to CW.

Heather

My goodness. Many eons ago I had used the Sonlight core K and 1 for LA and I just couldn't get a good handle with the subject. Though K and 1st had copywork and I didn't know what copywork was at the time we ditched it. I just couldn't get into teaching their LA at all. But this was the "old" version and not the new one.

My goodness. Many eons ago I had used the Sonlight core K and 1 for LA and I just couldn't get a good handle with the subject. Though K and 1st had copywork and I didn't know what copywork was at the time we ditched it. I just couldn't get into teaching their LA at all. But this was the "old" version and not the new one.

Tracy,

There is more in common between the old and the new than different. There is only one dictation/copywork passage a week vs. two (why I prefer the old). Grammar was heavier in the old. They still spiral topics vs. cover them to mastery and then review. The writing has a lot more helps and instruction, but still is not concrete enough for many.

Heather