Menu

My Umbrella school is closing, can you share what you use...I'm in FL..

deeinfl

I'm looking at a few, but just not sure about them. Is accredidation(spell?) a big deal? Do colleges really care if your umbrella school is accredited? Is it better to choose a school that will do transcripts? Has anyone had any problems with their mommy transcripts? Ugh, just when I thought it was all okay...Some of them are really pricey for us. I mean by the time enrollment and registration is paid, some of these go into the 200's for a few children. I was used to paying 150 a year for everything and that covered 4 children, then 3, and now I'll have two...:confused:

Thanks for any help...

Dee

Edited by deeinfl

Dee,

I'm probably no help, but is there a reason you want to be part of an umbrella school?

I will not be part of an umbrella school because I want to keep my options open in regards to the public school. Ds plays basketball there. But, even if I didn't want to avail myself of anything at ps, it's not a big deal to not be in an umbrella school. When I first moved to FL, I bristled at the thought of registering with the school district and having an annual evaluation, but it's no big deal. And a lot cheaper than $200/yr.

Most of the hs'ers around here start taking cc classes at 15-16 and when you've got some of those on your transcript applying at 4yr colleges with a mommy transcript and cc validation is no big deal. At least, that's what I've heard.

I completely understand though if you like the safety of an umbrella school, I was just wondering if you really needed it.

:grouphug:

Dee,

I'm probably no help, but is there a reason you want to be part of an umbrella school?

I will not be part of an umbrella school because I want to keep my options open in regards to the public school. Ds plays basketball there. But, even if I didn't want to avail myself of anything at ps, it's not a big deal to not be in an umbrella school. When I first moved to FL, I bristled at the thought of registering with the school district and having an annual evaluation, but it's no big deal. And a lot cheaper than $200/yr.

Most of the hs'ers around here start taking cc classes at 15-16 and when you've got some of those on your transcript applying at 4yr colleges with a mommy transcript and cc validation is no big deal. At least, that's what I've heard.

I completely understand though if you like the safety of an umbrella school, I was just wondering if you really needed it.

:grouphug:

This! :)

Sue, I think it's because I'm a big chicken. :)

I didn't join an umbrella group when I lived in NJ because it was a homeschool friendly, no paperwork necessary, kind of state.

When I moved to FL, only 6 years ago, I became afraid of the legalities and someone suggested an umbrella school. I did some research and had a great experience with one for the first 3 years. Then they moved out of state and recommended the one I have used for the past 3 years.

Now that I finally got comfortable with this one, they are moving out of state as well.

I have found many that just file for you and don't require much of any paperwork, except a quarterly attendance form, and most you can do online, so that is an option as well. Most of these only charge 10-20 dollars per year and nothing else.

I found a Florida Unschoolers group that will even file under the 600 option for free. That sounds great, but I am not an unschooler in any sense of the word so wasn't sure about that one.

You have given me much to think about. Maybe I have lived in fear for too long. Maybe coming up with my own transcript won't be something that's difficult.

I will ponder all of this and pray about it. I really appreciate the comments, and your words, Sue. Sometimes you need someone to point out the "whys" of what you are doing and what you are fearing.

Blessings!!!

Dee

We're in south FL right now, and don't use an umbrella school, either.

I'm glad to see some WTM in the Tampa area, though - we just bought a house in Dunedin and we'll be moving up there in about 3 weeks.

I haven't seriously started looking for another group of hs'ers to join when we get there, yet...but I'd love any info on the whole "playing basketball at the PS" thing. I've heard of kids doing that, but haven't looked into it much. Is there an age requirement? I've got a 1st/2nd grader. :)

You have given me much to think about. Maybe I have lived in fear for too long. Maybe coming up with my own transcript won't be something that's difficult.

I moved to FL 5 years ago and at first was irked by the hs requirements. But, now I find them very reasonable. I have NEVER heard of anyone who has had trouble. In fact, the county hs administrator tells you right up front that they are way too busy to be looking closely at many families. I know several others who take advantage of dual enrollment from gifted programs to high school honors classes.

Now, I never said that coming up with your own transcript was going to be easy. I just checked a book out at the library about it and was so overwhelmed by it (actually the portfolio part) that I returned it unread.

Does your umbrella school provide a transcript? That's something that I imagine would cost a pretty penny.

Good luck!

I'm glad to see some WTM in the Tampa area, though - we just bought a house in Dunedin and we'll be moving up there in about 3 weeks.

I haven't seriously started looking for another group of hs'ers to join when we get there, yet...but I'd love any info on the whole "playing basketball at the PS" thing. I've heard of kids doing that, but haven't looked into it much. Is there an age requirement? I've got a 1st/2nd grader. :)

HOP is located in North Pinellas county. I've heard good things about them.

I am out-of-town this week and next, but if you send me an email, I'll send you more information on dual enrollment when I can look in my files. :001_smile:

If you're still looking for one: http://www.championhomeschool.org/index.html is awesome. We used them this past year and it is a really good school. They are located in Central Florida.

I won't be using them this year but only because I'm now confident enough to do it on my own (and we don't have the money when it's not something that's required of us).

They did provide a transcript for both of my graduating seniors-a very nice one, but someone here made a very good point. The point being that accredidation and having someone else do your transcript will not be a guarantee in itself of any college or college program. I had never really thought about that.

There are lots of programs now that can help a parent do them on their own, though. http://www.prosara.com/

http://teascript.com/

http://www.thehomescholar.com/blog/

I am actually in the middle of discussing this with my husband and I am thinking that we are actually going to forego the umbrella school and (maybe-still praying) branch out on our own. I only have two homeschoolers this coming year, a 9th grader, and a 3rd grader, so I've got a few years to worry about a transcript and we do follow a very traditional styled curriculum with CM/WTM flare. :)

I can't believe the prices of some of these schools for what they offer, even if it's just the quarterly attendance forms, diploma, and transcript. Paying 150-200 dollars a year is just not the same in this crashing economy. I'd rather put that into HSLDA.

Many thanks and Many Blessings!!! This board has provided me with so much support during the years! I am so grateful for all of you homeschooling moms!!!

Blessings!!

Dee:lol: