Menu

German Grammar shopping time

This has come up before, but now that it's shopping time soon, I have reassessed our budget and cannot afford to do as much German as I would like to next year. Dd will do Rosetta Stone German 2 with a workbook. However, since I'd like to give her high school credit for this, I need a grammar or written German course to go along with it. I do have a German history book that was recommended her that I bought used, but I don't think she'll be ready for it by September. What would work for a first year high school student?

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, it's more of a reference book, but I really like "English Grammar for Students of German," seeing the grammar side by side in 2 languages is really helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-Students-German-Cecile/dp/0934034311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244013357&sr=8-1

Thanks, I'll check this out. However, I'd really like something with some exercises in it so that she can have some written work output. I should have been more specific in the OP. I'd rather not design the exercises myself.

German is Fun 1 and 2 (workbooks - lots of fluff, I didn't like them.)

German In Review by Kimberly Sparks - hardcover, pure grammar practice. Dd used this when we hired a tutor for a few weeks before she spent a year in Switzerland. I also used it for review/reference in college.

German Verb Drills - from Borders

Any of the major textbook companies German 1 texts, used and cheap.

German is Fun 1 and 2 (workbooks - lots of fluff, I didn't like them.)

German In Review by Kimberly Sparks - hardcover, pure grammar practice. Dd used this when we hired a tutor for a few weeks before she spent a year in Switzerland. I also used it for review/reference in college.

German Verb Drills - from Borders

Any of the major textbook companies German 1 texts, used and cheap.

Thanks! So, I'm guessing that German is Fun 1 & 2 are more elementary, right? She wouldn't mind a workbook, but I'll look for German in Review used. Would German is Fun be good for an 11 yo doing RS 1?

My 11 year old wasn't entertained but she doesn't like workbooks (or writing in general) and wasn't doing RS, so maybe she didn't know enough vocabulary. The teacher at the local Waldorf school does pull random worksheets out of it for class, but they also do tons of oral practice. Like all workbooks, I have to teach it to her, practice it with her, then she might manage to fill in all the blanks. It's not worth the effort for us, so we quit using workbooks altogether.

German is Fun 1 and 2 together would make up high school German 1.

You can order it from the publisher, with an answer booklet, if you send them proof of homeschooling.

I have acquired German in Review copies for $1 a piece. They are plentiful around colleges.

All of the Schaumm's Guides are very well done. We have used their German grammar in the past and I know that it has just been revised and updated. What was the German history book that you purchased? I am glad to see other families learning German. We haven't been able to find any others in our area to connect with or to practise with.

Mary Jo

My 11 year old wasn't entertained but she doesn't like workbooks (or writing in general) and wasn't doing RS, so maybe she didn't know enough vocabulary. The teacher at the local Waldorf school does pull random worksheets out of it for class, but they also do tons of oral practice. Like all workbooks, I have to teach it to her, practice it with her, then she might manage to fill in all the blanks. It's not worth the effort for us, so we quit using workbooks altogether.

German is Fun 1 and 2 together would make up high school German 1.

You can order it from the publisher, with an answer booklet, if you send them proof of homeschooling.

I have acquired German in Review copies for $1 a piece. They are plentiful around colleges.

Thanks. I've found both at Amazon. I ordered a 1967 Sparks (cheaper than any of the other years I saw there) and the German is Fun 1 workbook only to take a look at it. I have enough battles to choose with my 14 yo right now, so I'll give her the choice for next year and look for the answer key if that's what she chooses. I could order a set from the publisher since I'll have someone else do the same workbook later.

She wants to do Latin, too, for Science, but since some universities/colleges in the US don't accept Latin for their foreign language, we'll do both. Hopefully we'll get to Germany some summer for some immersion. I have no idea how as it's not in our budget, but I'd need to go with her and probably take my other dc. One of them is already doing RS 1, and my ds wants to start.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks. I've found both at Amazon. I ordered a 1967 Sparks (cheaper than any of the other years I saw there) and the German is Fun 1 workbook only to take a look at it.

Update: Both have arrived. Dd took a look at them and chose German is Fun. My next move is to get the teacher guide and the German is Fun 2 workbook and teacher guide. It's too expensive to get the audio with it, but we'll continue with Rosetta Stone German as she hasn't finished that yet. Since we do rigourous math and English and she has to work on writing essays (and she loathes expository writing intensely) I thought it good to let her choose her German. The Sparks book was inexpensive and we'll keep it, of course.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I checked out more than those two, of course. I thought she'd probably go for the workbook for grammar because it usually means less writing. However, there are some writing assignments in it which I don't think she's seen yet :).

Guest LilSarah

Well, it might be a bit more expensive but try to get some audio help as well. It really helps getting better at any language.

Well, it might be a bit more expensive but try to get some audio help as well. It really helps getting better at any language.

We have the Rosetta Stone for audio, and I can't afford another penny on German this year once I get the workbooks.

We have the Rosetta Stone for audio, and I can't afford another penny on German this year once I get the workbooks.

The German in Review is a good solid book, that is still often found in college intro courses. Be aware that there have been some spelling changes since the edition you bought was published. Also the word Fraeulein is rarely used now (almost all women are now Frau).

I did find some good grammar worksheets online by searching "German grammar exercises." This site had several links. I liked the DaF exercises (Deutsch als Fremdsprache - German as a Foreign language) by Nancy Thuleen. There were lots of topics and solution pages for many of the worksheets.

The German in Review is a good solid book, that is still often found in college intro courses. Be aware that there have been some spelling changes since the edition you bought was published. Also the word Fraeulein is rarely used now (almost all women are now Frau).

I did find some good grammar worksheets online by searching "German grammar exercises." This site had several links. I liked the DaF exercises (Deutsch als Fremdsprache - German as a Foreign language) by Nancy Thuleen. There were lots of topics and solution pages for many of the worksheets.

Thanks! If we use German in Review in the future, I'll bear those changes in mind. I would expect there to be changes (such as the Fraeulein/Frau) one) as language changes.