Menu

New here, need some suggestions for read-alouds

Welcome, Nan!

I like the books suggested by Veritas Press. Very meaty, IMO. I think they tend to be advanced, so check out earlier grades as well.

You can look through their site for titles and also request a catalog.

http://www.veritaspress.com

I also like Core Knowledge's three anthologies, Realms of Gold, for middle school. Many of the works could be read in third grade. The first book contains poems, Greek myths about love, stories, essays, speeches, and biographies. You can request a catalog as well.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/bookstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_13

I think eight is a good age to begin learning Shakespeare. Something along the line of Charles and Mary Lamb's book would work well.

If you haven't already, post your question on the K-8 board, also. You'll get some fabulous suggestions.

HTH.

Hi Nan!

I agree with the pp on her recommendations. I would also add requesting a catalog from Sonlight (www.sonlight.com) and from Heart of Dakota (www.heartofdakota.com) as well. I have an 8yo ds going to 3rd grade. Here is my list of read alouds for this summer as well as the next school year:

Charlotte's Web

The Trumpet of the Swan

The Hundred Dresses

A Lion to Guard Us

Pagoo

King of the Wind

Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin

The Railway Children

If You Traveled West in a Covered Wagon

Family Under the Bridge

In Grandma's Attic

The House at Pooh Corner

Helen Keller

The Apple and the Arrow

Aesop's Fables

The Cricket in Times Square

The Key to the Treasure

Mr.Popper's Penguins

Henry Huggins

Homer Price

Mrs.Piggle-Wiggle

The Year of Miss Agnes

Hth, Trina :001_smile:

MBM,

Thank you for posting the links to the websites. I will start looking into them .

Trina,

Thanks for the extensive list of read aloud books. I will start looking for them in the library.

After a read aloud, should I be discussing the book with her, doing some reading comprehension etc?

Thanks,

Nan

I would suggest snuggling up for a summer with The Little House on the Prairie series. Whatever you do, don't skip Farmer Boy. These are also fun to listen to on CD.

Happy reading!

Cornflower

Thanks! I checked out a copy of Jim Trelease's "Read aloud handbook" and there is a ton of books listed there. I will use as many books as I can from this book along with the wonderful suggestions given in this thread.