Menu

All About Spelling ???

Beth in IN

So ... I just received my pack with AAS :001_smile: and I am wondering from you experts who already use it, do you have any pointers to share and any getting started tips?

Do you laminate these phonograph cards?

I purchased level 1 and started pack.

TIA!

Beth

My advice - use a paper cutter. It will save SO much time and hand fatigue. We didn't laminate the cards, but as I only have 1 child, I'm not too worried about maintaining pristine condition to be passed down.

Just so you know ... the cards are now perforated to save hand fatique:D

I'm SO happy to hear that the cards are now perforated! My hand went through 3 levels of nonperforated cards.

I never laminated the cards either. In fact, I used the phonogram cards most when i was first starting the program and then for the occasional review. At the stage my ds is at, we rarely use the vocabulary cards because the list is included at the end of each lesson in the book. He has been zipping through with few errors, so we only use those cards on major review days. Of course, that may change as the words get more difficult;).

My kids happily separated the cards, and then I decided to laminate. That defeated the purpose of perforation!

I'm still trying to find a file box I like.

I suggest getting the magnet board from Costco as it suggests on the site. It was a great deal.

I don't laminate my cards, although I have thought about laminating the dividers. I think that's worth your time so that the tabs don't get bent over. I don't really feel like all the cards need to be laminated, but I know some people like to!

Also, just a warning--right now only Level 1 is perforated. The other levels will be perforated as they are reprinted.

We found a 2' X 3' magnet board made by "The Board Dudes" for about $15 or $16, so not too bad. I like having all of the tiles set up all the time!

I started off with a regular index-box, and now I use one of those sterilite boxes for all the cards for both of my kids (There are 4+ sets of cards in there!).

If you have a child who will need to take awhile to learn the phonograms, Marie Rippel has made a phonogram progress chart that's really cute--you can print it off for free on the AAS message board, the Chatterbee. Go to the Level 1 group & you'll see it there. You can also find progress charts and completion certificates that you can print off in each level's group. Oh, and there is a blank form for making extra cards. That's handy because you can readily see where to cut the cards apart! I keep a set of blank cards in my box all the time, as my kids need lots of review.

Ask questions if you hit a snag, there's probably a good solution :-). You can customize the program to your child's needs--move quickly through what's easy, spend more time on what's new, review as much or as little as they need, etc...

Have fun with it!

Merry :-)

Thanks all for the tips. I am glad you all said not to laminate because my son desperately wanted to separate the cards, so I let him.

I did join the chatterbee ... what a cute looking forum. I am total sucker for packaging. I am glad I had not seen the program in person before purchasing or else I may have thought that I bought it just because that bee is so darn cute.;).

I couldn't believe when it showed up today in the mail, I just ordered it on Friday. Lightning fast shipping!

Anyway, I am so excited about starting this program with my son. Thanks again for the help!

Beth