Menu

How do you do dictation?

creekmom

I've tried doing dication the way SWB recommends in WWE - basically helping the child write a correct dictation the first time around. This does not work for us. As my fourth grader writes, I'm basically looking over his shoulder waiting for a mistake. He gets tired of erasing mistakes and wants me to just tell him how to spell words, where to put commas etc. When we do dictation this way, I honestly don't think he's learning anything. Lately, I've been having him just write what I say the best he can. When he's done, I go back over the mistakes with him, and then have him rewrite the whole thing correctly. This way just feels right. Any advice?

If your son is making lots of mistakes, his dictation passages are probably too hard for him.

For dictation to be successful, the student needs to know how to spell and punctuate the passage the himself. You can accomplish that in a variety of ways.

1) Have the student study the dictation passage in advance. One way of doing this is using the passage as copywork first. When the student thinks he knows how to spell and punctuate everything, give the dictation.

2) Provide support for the dictation. Write tricky words or names on a separate piece of paper so the student can copy them when he gets to them. Use exagerated pronuncation so that the student can hear the question mark, or the pause for the comma. Tell the student in advance if there are any homonyms, unusual punctuation, or other stuff to watch out for.

3) Choose passages that have only words and punctuation that the student already knows. (This is the method I use.)

As for making corrections as he writes versus after he's done, you can do it either way. Pointing out mistakes immediately makes them easier to correct and avoids having the wrong image impressed in the brain. However, it can also throw off the students train of thought.

When you do make a correction, be sure to explain why the correct way is correct.

Edited by Kuovonne

Try allowing him to study it first and when he's ready, remove it from sight. Read it once. Have him repeat it back and then begin to write. Once he finishes writing, give him the "key copy" to check himself and make any corrections. If there are ANY mistakes, repeat the same one the nest day. If not, move on to the next dictation. We use HOD, but the dications are from "Dictation Day by Day" which you can see for free on google books.

This has improved my dd's spelling, writing, and punctuation skills DRAMATICALLY in a matter of a month's time. And she's learning to study something intently for details as well as listen to what's being said to her to understand, not just "hear".

HTH!

Thank you for such great advice! It never even occurred to me that the passages were too hard. I've been using the WWE book but starting with the 3rd grade sentences for my fourth grader. One of the 3rd grade sentences was soooooo long - with 6-7 commas!!! I keep wondering if SWB's kids can actually remember the whole passage and copy it!? Maybe I'm getting early Alzheimers or something, but there is no way I could remember a passage that long!! Do your children have problems remembering the whole passage too??

Try to remember that dictation passages are not spelling tests or punctuation tests. They are merely to get the child in the habit of writing correctly. If the child makes mistakes and then corrects them, he has laid down an incorrect pattern in his brain.

When I was in school, we took dictation that was supposed to be a spelling test and listening exercise. When I first read SWB's description of dictation, I thought, "But then I'd be giving my child the answers!" It took me a while to break out of the idea that dictation is a test and embrace the idea that dictation is practice.

Tara

Your dc could use the dictation for copywork on Monday. Then you can use it for dictation the next day. This is the method suggested in The Writer's Jungle, I think:D Anyway, it works here. I like to pick something from our family read-aloud that has some challenging punctuation.

Thank you for such great advice! It never even occurred to me that the passages were too hard. I've been using the WWE book but starting with the 3rd grade sentences for my fourth grader. One of the 3rd grade sentences was soooooo long - with 6-7 commas!!! I keep wondering if SWB's kids can actually remember the whole passage and copy it!? Maybe I'm getting early Alzheimers or something, but there is no way I could remember a passage that long!! Do your children have problems remembering the whole passage too??

I think the thing to remember is that SWB's children did this from a fairly early age. I am going to start my two this Aug. when we start school for the fall but I am starting them in the WWE 1. I figure we can move through as fast as we want but I don't want them to get frustrated and discouraged. My youngest is a very reluctant writer and unless I am surprised will need lots of encouragement with all of this.