Menu

TOG: Substitute the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History?

laurad1125

We will start using TOG Y1 Unit 4 on Monday. It references the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World. Other years use various appropriate UILEs (ex. - Usborne Internet-Linked Medieval World.) I have the UILE of World History which covers all of the time periods, which I want to substitute.

My question is - does anyone know if the big volume is just a collection of the other volumes? Are the pages the same and in the same order so I could just go to the 20th page in the Ancient World section of the large book when told to go to page 20 of the Ancient World specific smaller book?

The learning curve on TOG has been steep (but I ADORE it so far - the teacher's notes and discussion guides are fabulous!) and I really don't want to figure out which page goes with which topic. :nopity: I will, but don't want to...

cbd.com has the table of contents of Usborne IL Ancient World. You can see it (and sample pages) here. I compared it to my copy of Usborne IL World history. You can't do a one-for-one substitution. World history spends about 94 pages on the ancient world. Ancient history is about 198 pages long. There appears to be a lot more detail/information in the ancient history book.

According to Usborne yes it is.

You will find the history of the world from the Big Bang to the year 2000, covering the major civilizations, rulers and events. The book paints vivid picture of everyday life over thousands of years and includes: Clear descriptions of historical events -- Reconstructions of exciting scenes throughout history -- Fascinating illustrations -- Over 100 maps -- 12000-year illustrated timechart. This combined volume includes: Ancient World, Medieval World, Prehistoric World, and The Last 500 Years. The paperback version of this title is 7 1/2 X 9 1/2 in size with slightly smaller text.

Heather

Thank you for this thread and for the links! I have been very confused myself. :001_huh:

I have an older Usborne World History Ancient World and was wondering if it would work. After looking at the table of contents at cbd.com, I realized that it won't.

My homeschool budget has gone through the roof this year :blink:. Oh well, what's another $17 when you're this far in the hole.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...