Menu

Another Autism Question

I've only been doing this for one year, so I am no expert. For my ds, learning needs to be very visual, but not visually overstimulating. My ds is a huge reader, he learns best from reading and remembers everything he reads. Our favorite curriculum this year was BJU Science - a great blend of reading and hands on experiments that kept science fun. We loved LoF math, but need another year before we start algebra so we're switching to MUS next year. We're planning to use a sonlight core for history next year, I haven't tried that before, but we did our own world geography this year with whole books and maps and just read a lot and loved it.

One thing we avoid is video teacher that he can't stay focused on. SOS math was a miss because it counted right answer wrong and my perfectionist couldn't handle that. He also hated TT math because he didn't think he should have to write it on paper and enter the answer on the computer - a waste of his time :lol:

I don't know what age you are looking for, my recommendations may not be useful yet.

What grades/ages are you teaching?

One of my Aspies is a voracious reader so that was her main "curriculum" for years. But my other children (8 and under)... I'm still trying to figure out what works for them!

One thing my Aspies do need is a visual plan for each day.. I have to have everything on their plan from brushing teeth to chores to specific school assignments. If I don't have these visual aids for them to follow each day, then nothing gets done. I have created a word document that fits all of this on one page.. I'd be happy to share if you send me a private message. My girls will not brush their hair or teeth or even put on clean clothes on their own. Everything has to be put on their daily plan. The only thing they do on their own is take care of pets and indulge in their obsessions, LOL. All three of my daughters are on the spectrum.

Too funny Misty. When my ds was in ps they used to have a daily schedule taped to his desk. By about 5th grade, he didn't need it anymore. But when he was younger, it was critical. Now the only time I still use a written schedule is when I am going out. Then I leave a detailed schedule of what to do when I am gone.

My son is the same way. We use MUS for math and he does well with that. For science we have used Apologia but library books work just as good because he will read any kind of animal books. He likes small worksheets for English, so I used sheets ran off from the computer. Next year I plan on using LLATL. My son works while listening to classical music so that he can concentrate longer. He learned to do that during occupational therapy. I hope some of this helps.

Here are some winners for my special needs children. Of course, this is only our experience -- others may feel differently!

Phonics - Alpha Phonics & Explode the Code

This worked very well for my special needs kiddos because it uses a word ladder approach (ball, call, hall, tall, wall, etc.) vs a traditional phonetic sound method (ba, be, bi, bo, bu, etc.). My special needs children had trouble hearing the minute differences between the individual vowel sounds. The Explode the Code books are a great companion for this program.

Handwriting - Handwriting Without Tears

This program is terrific! Designed by an occupational therapist and originally intended for children with learning disabilities.

Writing - Institute for Excellence in Writing

This program is the only one that's ever worked for my oldest son. They break writing down and utilize checklists...perfect for my son! I would recommend it for older children (I wouldn't plan on using it for my children until 5th grade +)

Math - Math-U-See - Singapore Math - Teaching Textbooks

All are excellent programs. My oldest son used MUS for Kindergarten through 6th or 7th grade, and then switched to TT. Because every lesson and problem is on the computer, he's self-teaching when it comes to math and he wanted that independence as he grew older. My youngest daughter adores Singapore Math because it's very colorful. She's currently in public school, using Singapore Math!

History / Science - Sonlight

We've used Sonlight for 10+ years and it's a terrific program. Literature-based and all the planning is done for you. Includes all the reading / read aloud selections you could ever want.

I hope this helps to get you started!

For those of you teaching your HFA/PDD-NOS kids at home, what teaching methods, curricula, aids etc have been most helpful to you?

Future Horizons - http://www.futurehorizons-autism.com/

We decorated the bedroom wall with giant posters of the four operations and corresponding facts. Amazingly effortless learning method - no drill required! :)

Like the other posters, we do lots of reading, and also include books that promote the kind of behavior/social skills we want to develop.

Lindamood Bell has some excellent material for developing language skills. We've used Vanilla Vocabulary and Visualizing and Verbalizing.

Also books on idioms and language pragmatics (check out Scholastic and Teacher Created Materials).

We also use workbooks, particularly for math. Educators Publishing Service has some programs that are particularly designed for kids who need a straightforward approach to computation and word problems.

Some of Temple Grandin's books have really been enlightening as well.

Books on home educating autistic children will also give you some more ideas to help you customize an effective plan.