Menu

cell phones - need inexpensive plan

I need suggestions for cell phone plans that don't have a two-year contract. The prepaid phone will not work anymore for the number of minutes I use but I don't need lots of minutes either. I need something in between. Or is there a company contract that is reasonable and won't cost $100 a month?

Louise

Why won't a prepaid plan work? We got a prepaid plan with T-Mobile, and love it. For $100, you can get 1000 minutes which are good for a year.

Do you have a link to this rate? I only dealt with Tracfone and it no longer has good deals. I just spent $30 on 120 minutes and used them up for a work meeting. I don't use a cell phone for other than doing work calls while on the road. And this week those calls are going to increase to the point where the Tracfone won't work out anymore.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/rates/month.do

Looks like they have a plan for unlimited text and minutes for about $60 per month before taxes. Not bad! I used to have Virgin Mobile - for about 2 years or so and was very happy with them. However, I went with AT&T about a year and a half ago because I wanted to be able to get the internet, google maps and email, etc. As soon as my contract is up later this year, I will probably switch back. (It will be soooo painful. I love being able to use the internet anywhere...but I am paying about $200 included tax for two lines and it is a drain.)

Edited by SherryTX
Edited to add correction

Here's the T-Mobile prepaid overview. It was the best deal for prepaid I'd seen in a while.

The way it works is that you get the "gold plan" once you've spent $100 on minutes. Until then, the minutes only last a max of 90 days. So if you expect to use them, go ahead and spend the $100 on 1000 minutes.

I love the tmobile prepaid plan! I have used this for several years after spending $80 a month with their regular plan and never using the minutes.

I wanted to add that if you do not use the 1000 minutes in one year, all you need to do is add another $10 to your account before your one year is up, and those minutes are good for another year. We keep a spare cell phone for the kids if they need it, so far I have spent $120 to keep one phone running for almost 3 years now... I'm at almost 34 months for $120 ... about $3.50 a month for cell phone service.

Tmobile runs specials all the time to purchase one of their prepaid phones cheap, or you can buy any unlocked phone that takes a sim card and use a tmobile prepaid card in it. The only thing is that first upfront $100 for the 1000 minutes, but after that it is so cheap if you do not use many minutes.

Do you have a link to this rate? I only dealt with Tracfone and it no longer has good deals. I just spent $30 on 120 minutes and used them up for a work meeting. I don't use a cell phone for other than doing work calls while on the road. And this week those calls are going to increase to the point where the Tracfone won't work out anymore.

I was going to recommend Tracfone, but you have to have the double-minutes-for-life feature (DMFL) for it to be economical. My phone (for which I paid $20 at Wal-mart) came with DMFL. I added a 1-year 400-minute card. The DMFL added another 400 minutes. And I had a bonus code which added another 200 minutes. So I got 1000 minutes good for a year, for $120, including the phone. It comes to 12 cents/minute. I am thrilled that I have a cell phone for $10/month, and it has enough minutes for the type of calling I do. Always search for a bonus code online before adding minutes!