Menu

Calling all crafters - some brainstorming fun

Our GS troop is working on their Bronze award, and have decided to raise money and supplies to make craft kits for patients at the local Children's Hospital.

Now for the fun part...

Can you suggest some fun "in a bag" craft kits that we could put together? I understand that they distribute these to the kids on a cart, so when they pull it off the cart, it has to have all the pieces parts to complete the craft. Coloring pages with crayons are a big hit, as are bead kits, but what else can you creative ladies (and the odd guy) (ha! is that pun intended or not?) come up with?

TIA!

A mosaic magnet kit? Little colored magnet tiles to put on a larger magnet board? Might be helpful to think of things that stick - like magnets or colorforms.

I've had my children in hospitals many times and looking for little toys tangled in sheets or on the floor isn't fun!

Depending on the ages here are a few suggestions:

• lettered beads & chenille stems or plastic lace (to make jewelry)
  • Cardstock cut as bookmark (you can find pre-cut at Michaels craft store) with mini markers/stickers/jewels etc. to decorate.
  • Little wooden cars (Michaels) with markers/paint pens to decorate.
  • premade blank puzzles, again with markers/crayons/pencils
  • Plastic canvas and various pieces of colored yarn(or very small ball) & plastic needle

If you have a Michaels craft store near you, they have a lot of mini craft kits for $1 each, depending on the budget.

I hope that this helps.:)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Plastic canvas and various pieces of colored yarn(or very small ball) & plastic needle

The kids could make bookmarks, door hangers, Easter eggs, houses, doll play furniture, etc. They have everything and you can cut out your own shapes from the regular sheets. This stuff is cheap, cheap, cheap too.

DD4 has a plastic canvas dress-up doll kit (QuickCount Dress-Up Molly) that we got from Hobby Lobby. You can make new clothes (endless quantities of them...all styles and colors) out of regular plastic canvas and more thread. They use velcro to go off and on. I think we're going to use the idea to make educational "paper" dolls for history.

for older kids: friendship bracelets (floss [cut to correct length], directions, safety pin)

beaded animals (instructions with a picture, beads, string, clip)

origami (paper and instructions for several projects of varied difficulty)

I think Klutz books would be a great place to look for ideas especially their books using pipe cleaners, origami and plastic lacing.

Oriental Trading and others catalogs (S and S??) sell craft kits that are sold as classroom kits. You might find ideas there as well.

So many crafts could be bagged up into kits...I think what's important is to include easy to follow instructions, a picture/photo when helpful, and color/project choices when possible. If there is a choice to be made make sure that the packaging allows for easy choosing, without needing to open the bag. HTH

Artist trading cards?

If you Google, you will find a lot of information about these.

You could give mini cards cut to the correct size with colored pencils.

Card making kits.

Card stock and some die cuts, and misc. supplies to make simple cards.

Large Wiggle eyes can make cute crafts if you glue them in the inside of a card, and cut out corresponding holes on the front (a large circle punch makes this easy) of the card. Then the kids can make "before and after" designs of creatures. You may need an example drawn the front so the kids will know what to do with it to make it humorous.

Mandala coloring sheets are fun for little kids and older kids too. Even kids who may not like to color pictures often like to color mandalas.

simple instructions and materials to make pom-pom animals with googly eyes! :D You could buy bulk eyes, bulk pom-poms, even bulk feathers and chenille stems for certain animals.

Also all the fixins for making musical instruments: paper plates glued/stapled together with beans inside them, etc. Little baggies of clay. Sticky-back foam shapes.

Edited by specialmama

simple instructions and materials to make pom-pom animals with googly eyes! :D You could buy bulk eyes, bulk pom-poms, even bulk feathers and chenille stems for certain animals.

Oh - we made these for an international fair one time! We glued the pompoms inside small shells and made "shell friends"! They were a huge hit! Thanks for the reminder.

Artist trading cards?

If you Google, you will find a lot of information about these.

You could give mini cards cut to the correct size with colored pencils.

This reminded me of some of the Dover activity books available (that might have been what you were referring to?) Thanks!

And thanks for all the other great ideas! We also thought of weaving mats cut into the shape of animals.