Menu

Some questions about math

pooh bear

I have read quite a few posts about TT and how it is considered a year behind over math curriculum. My ds who is 8, 9 is 3 weeks is just about finished with TT5. He has been using TT5 since March.

We have never used a math curriculum before starting TT5, we just used math in every day life and ds learned the math fact tables for fun. He has been getting 100% in all the lessons in TT5.

The reason that we picked TT, is I am very math phobic, I really need as much guidence as possible. Ds loves the interaction with the computer and how it explains each lesson step by step.

Is TT really that far behind every thing else, or is my ds just a head in the math department? Do you think we should continue with TT, supplement TT or change to something more challenging? What should we suppliment with, or change to?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the saying goes!

My 9 year old is also finishing up TT Math 5 and he almost always receives 100% on every lesson.

He'll be starting TT Math 6 in the fall and I have no plans to change his math curriculum.

By using TT a grade level ahead, he'll finish the Precalculus text in 11th grade, which will leave him time to complete a Calculus text in 12th grade, before he leaves for college, so having him a grade level ahead is a bonus, in my eyes.

He enjoys math and he's doing well with it. So I see no need to change.

He has been getting 100% in all the lessons in TT5.
This is the only part that makes me nervous. I'd consider supplementing with more challenging materials so at the very least he has the experience of occasionally hitting a dead end or being wrong and having to question his assumptions.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the saying goes!

My 9 year old is also finishing up TT Math 5 and he almost always receives 100% on every lesson.

He'll be starting TT Math 6 in the fall and I have no plans to change his math curriculum.

By using TT a grade level ahead, he'll finish the Precalculus text in 11th grade, which will leave him time to complete a Calculus text in 12th grade, before he leaves for college, so having him a grade level ahead is a bonus, in my eyes.

He enjoys math and he's doing well with it. So I see no need to change.

It's nice to see that my ds is not the only one working ahead with TT. If my ds keeps on this pace, it will be Precalc in 10th grade.

I was thinking about getting Life of Fred, just as a little something extra.

It's nice to see that my ds is not the only one working ahead with TT. If my ds keeps on this pace, it will be Precalc in 10th grade.

I was thinking about getting Life of Fred, just as a little something extra.

We own the Life of Fred books, too. They'd make a very nice supplement. I'm thinking of having my 9yo use the 1st book over the summer.

I think that the fact that a child is getting 100% in their math lessons makes people "nervous" is so silly......would you feel better if they were getting bad grades??

I think the point that many miss with TT is that the lesson is taught SO well, and in a way the child GETS it, so yeah, they get great grades on the lessons. Isn't that the way math should be?

It's funny, cuz if a parent came here and said that their child is getting horrible grades in math, many would tell them they need to change curriculums or slow down, etc. So it the theory if you do GREAT or HORRIBLE, you should change, but if you do Mediocre, then that is exactly what we are looking for???

Sorry to go OT, but the constant put-down of TT drives me nuts sometimes.

If you stick with a great Math program from start to finish, whether it be TT or something else, you child will know what they need to get into college. By constant jumping curriculums, you will get gaps. Stick with what works.

I was not putting down TT at all. I am really happy with it.

I guess I was just worried, being a very non-math person, if TT was challenging enough for him. I can see that it is, and will keep on using it.

Math and English are my two worst subjects and they happen to be the two that my ds excels at. :glare: I failed my GCSE Math exam twice, both times getting an E. Let me teach history and geography any day.

I think that the fact that a child is getting 100% in their math lessons makes people "nervous" is so silly......would you feel better if they were getting bad grades??
Learning that you sometimes have to work hard to puzzle out an solution to a problem, and you are not less intelligent or less worthy because you can't solve something right away (or are stumped outright) is a lesson far easier learned early in life than in college.

I think the point that many miss with TT is that the lesson is taught SO well, and in a way the child GETS it, so yeah, they get great grades on the lessons. Isn't that the way math should be?
This isn't about TT. My daughter was the same way with the Singapore textbooks, so we used IP instead.

t's funny, cuz if a parent came here and said that their child is getting horrible grades in math, many would tell them they need to change curriculums or slow down, etc. So it the theory if you do GREAT or HORRIBLE, you should change, but if you do Mediocre, then that is exactly what we are looking for???
I think it's dangerous to teach children that grades are the sole measure of our learning. Make the test more challenging, and we get a different result. Does that mean the child knows less?

Sorry to go OT, but the constant put-down of TT drives me nuts sometimes.
:chillpill:

I didn't put the program down. I merely suggested supplementing it with something more challenging for a particular child who was consistently scoring 100% on tests within it, and would have said the same no matter the program. That's a big difference.