Menu

Continue SWR???

I have used Spell to Write and Read with my son for the past two years (K and 1st grade). It has really worked for him in terms of Reading and Spelling (not so much for writing) but I have struggled with implementing it (it is so structured and teacher-intensive and sometimes just downright boring!!). I have two questions...

How long do most of you who use it successfully keep it up?

Should I use it with my rising kindergartener or switch to something else (maybe Phonics Pathways)? I know no one but me can answer that, but I would appreciate opinions if anyone has them.

I have used Spell to Write and Read with my son for the past two years (K and 1st grade). It has really worked for him in terms of Reading and Spelling (not so much for writing) but I have struggled with implementing it (it is so structured and teacher-intensive and sometimes just downright boring!!). I have two questions...

How long do most of you who use it successfully keep it up?

Should I use it with my rising kindergartener or switch to something else (maybe Phonics Pathways)? I know no one but me can answer that, but I would appreciate opinions if anyone has them.

I was always modifying SWR to make it more time efficient. Generally by working only with words they missed and not working much with words they could spell right off. For the time being I am doing All About Spelling because it is so much easier and doesn't have a unwritten "minimum" time investment. My oldest continues to mark up her vocab words each week via SWR, but when/if they do SWR again we will probably do it more like AAS is structured because it works so well for us.

I know Wanda would say to keep on going till they finish the lists.

Heather

I've never actually used SWR but I wanted to. I bought it and read partway through the book a few times. I even started working through the lists myself. It never clicked and I felt like I was holding my oldest back waiting for her to be ready for the lessons. I found Montessori Read and Write and taught my dd how to segment words, letters sounds, and building words with a movable alphabet. Then I found AAS and we love it. It is everything that I loved about SWR and more, plus it is easier to use and it's fun.

I have been thinking about how I will continue to use SWR.......my ds is on his 2nd time through A-I (at G this week), and is just "clicking." He has been a late bloomer and SWR has really helped me get him over that hump. My dd4 gleans a lot from the lessons too.

That said - I do not see my sanity lasting long doing SWR, as written, with 3 dc...esp the year I have a Ker, 1st grader and 3rd grader:001_huh:

My (tentative) solution - (don't tell Wanda Sanseri LOL:tongue_smilie:) - just keep doing 20 words per week. Don't try and speed up to 40 and don't take summer breaks and repeat every list. I am not going to make myself crazy doing all the enrichments either... I'm boiling it down to a word list, phonograms and rules. (focusing)

K = Sections A-I at 10 words per week, and repeat A-I at 20 words per week

Then, at a rate of 20 words per week, and schooling year-round 6 weeks on / 1 week off; We will finish the entire list before 3rd grade. At that point, we will move on to Latin/Greek root-based word study. This way, my oldest is done before starting my youngest. Plus, 3rd grade seems to be the year a lot of other stuff kicks into high gear...so moving on from SWR at that point seems natural......from the perspective of a mom who hasn't actually done this yet;)

I think, if I keep the phonograms and spelling rules in the memory work rotation beyond 3rd grade, that my kids will still get the best benefits from the program. A lot of the scheduling was obviously written for a traditional school setting.

I must admit, the temptation to move to an independant workbook for spelling is pretty strong some days! (until ds bloomed into a reader under my nose....while I was try to figure out what Wanda meant by this and that, no doubt...:lol:)

We used SWR from K5 to 3rd, though by 3rd we really were starting to diverge, using just the Wise Guide sentences and doing them as dictation, etc. If it's working, stay put. If it's not change how you use it. The way it taught my dd to read is fabulous, so it's definitely the way I intend to go with my new little one when his time comes. But don't be afraid to spice SWR up or use it your own way. You're not going to mess it up. :)

Thanks! I think I am going to stick with SWR for my son but streamline it a bit and not stress about doing all of the pieces. I may supplement Spelling Workout to emphasize rules more (has anyone done this?). For my daughter, I think I will try All About Spelling since it sounds very similar yet different in some of the areas I would like for it to be different. Guess I will know then which I like better.