Menu

Cross post: Anyone use RS4K?

Just wondering on your thoughts on Level 2. I have heard mixed reviews on whether it is actually enough for high school. Level 1 is deceiving because it looks simple but covers some pretty advanced material. Since the Level 2 books are year long courses, I am thinking the same applies.

Just curious.

My middle ds will probably use Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry Level 2. Queen homeschool sells Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry Level 2 as part of their high school package. According to the RS4K author's blog post from July 17, 2008 "Level II Chemistry nearly meets the full requirements for high school SAT preparation and, from what I can see, I think it covers enough topics in enough detail to qualify as a high school chemistry credit." Using the chemistry info from the SAT website she lists the exact information that is not covered. We may or may not use an additional book to fill in the few concepts that not covered.

HTH-

Mandy

It's a great program. My dd wants to major in biochem, so Dr. Keller said she'd need more than RS4K in high school. However, it may be all my middle dd does, or most of what she does, unless she does an about face in her interests. It also has students design their own experiments given certain parameters, rather than spoonfeeding them to them, which I like.

RS4K Chemistry is Dr. Keller's best stuff, which isn't surprising given her background.

I'm not convinced....

JMO though. Maybe if I saw how people fleshed it out.

We're not for my eldest, since she's doing it for fun this summer and then Conceptual Chemistry next fall. I can't say how we'd do that for my middle dd as she's only 11 and I'm not sure yet how we'll handle her high school sciences. But it's engaging, and for my non-science-oriented middle dc, that's important. Do you have it yourself?