Menu

If you make your own laundry detergent, can I ask you why

I honestly tried it because it looked like fun. Now I usually make it because: it's cheaper, it's easier on my DH and DD's sensitive skin, and it works as well if not better than any other brand. I make the dry by using my food processor and I can whip up a 30-45 day supply in about 15 minutes. The hardest part is peeling the labels off the Ivory. LOL!

I was making my own to save money a while back and after a while I noticed that the clothes just weren't getting clean. I have messy little people and NONE of the stains were coming out with the fels naptha/borax/washing soda mix. I am READY for one that works and will be gentle on my kiddos' sensitive skin. Tide Free is a killer at $8/week. :tongue_smilie:

I don't now but I tried it. I, too, found that our clothes weren't getting clean so I quit. The reason that I started were mostly chemical and the number of plastic containers thrown away with a heavy dose of desire for self-sufficiency thrown in.

I'd try it again in a heartbeat if I heard of a new recipe. The one I tried was the same as the previous poster: fels naptha, et c.

I don't now but I tried it. I, too, found that our clothes weren't getting clean so I quit. The reason that I started were mostly chemical and the number of plastic containers thrown away with a heavy dose of desire for self-sufficiency thrown in.

I'd try it again in a heartbeat if I heard of a new recipe. The one I tried was the same as the previous poster: fels naptha, et c.

I found the same thing, so I just ended up using Seventh Generation - not inexpensive, but the clothes are clean without any petrochemicals and I recycle the bottles.

Trent, at the Simple Dollar, recently posted an article / video. It doesn't appear that he uses Fels Naptha.

I started making my own detergent for both the reasons you mentioned (financial and chemical) but also because it's just a teensy step towards self-sufficiency, and I enjoy the teensy steps. It's just, well, fun. :)

Yep, what she said! :D This is the recipe I use:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

It works really well for me. Good luck!

I grate the soap in the food processor with the grating blade. For each bar of soap - we use Ivory - I add 1 cup washing SODA and 1 cup Borax. When I am done with the grating (after grating a few bars I dump the soap shavings into a huge bowl and add the soda and borax) I switch to the regular blade in the processor and zap the soap with the soda and borax to a consistency that's the same as the store bought detergent. Then the stuff goes in a Tupperware and I shake it up to make sure it's all well mixed. I use 2 Tablespoons per load (big loads). It takes about 5 minutes per load with the hardest part being unwrapping the Ivory labels. I used to use a hand grater and that worked great - but the processor is so fast. I throw all the processor parts in the dishwasher and they come out sparkling. HTH!!

The recipe I uses has OxyClean added in, so it works pretty good!

2.5 c. grated fels naptha soap (leave bars out to dry and use one of those Olive Garden parmesan cheese graters)

1 c. arm and hammer super washing soda

1 c. mule team borax

1 c. oxyclean

Use 2 TBSP. for large load, more for heavily soiled clothes, less for smaller loads.

Kimm

The recipe I uses has OxyClean added in, so it works pretty good!

2.5 c. grated fels naptha soap (leave bars out to dry and use one of those Olive Garden parmesan cheese graters)

1 c. arm and hammer super washing soda

1 c. mule team borax

1 c. oxyclean

Use 2 TBSP. for large load, more for heavily soiled clothes, less for smaller loads.

Kimm

I bet the OxyClean would help a lot. I'll have to see how expensive it is.