Menu

Boston University

Jane in NC

People who are asking my son about college visits are astounded that both Wesleyan University and Boston University are on his list. Talk about night and day! There is a reason: archaeology. Few schools have undergraduate archaeology departments. BU's department is recognized as one of the best for both undergrad and graduate studies.

Unfortunately our arrival at BU came the day after graduation so there were no student led tours. We did attend an information session with admissions (always helpful) then spent an illuminating 45 minutes with the chair of BU's archaeology department.

BU is a large, urban campus which puts a cultural world at a student's doorstep. I see the urban setting as both an advantage and a disadvantage. The campus is essentially long and narrow, set along the Charles River with no where to go now but up. Yet we were pleasantly surprised by the number of brownstones that are part of campus (housing or offices) and trees. This is not just a concrete campus.

BU has roughly 18,000 undergrads, 13,000 graduate/professional students. Yet we were told that classes were taught by professors, although students in larger introductory classes could have a lab or break out section with a TA.

Housing is guaranteed for all four years. Most freshmen are housed in one of two sets of towers on either east or west campus. While we did not see a room, these huge, mostly freshmen complexes look absolutely dreadful to me! (Anyone with more knowledge should please respond!)

It seems that it would be easy for a freshman to get lost at BU. Yet this school remains on my son's radar on the strength of its archaeology department which educates students in theoretical and hands on methodology in the subject. BU has experts and digs in southern Asia, the Mideast, Africa and the Americas. Their field school is located on a Mediterrean island once inhabited by the Romans. Opportunities abound for students who wish to study classical archaeology as well as the latest technology used in the field. Policy and ethical issues are also studied.

What would make the large world of BU more user friendly for someone like my son is the small world of the archaeology department. There is an archaeology club (open to anyone, not just majors) which sponsors field trips and movie nights. But BU also a zillion and one other clubs, intramural sports activities, etc. It would require a student to take some initiative, but I think after that first step is made a student could find his place in the larger university.

Another advantage to BU: close proximity to uncles! My son would be a bus ride away to assorted family members so I know that he would not have a lonely holiday. (Note: this is of no concern to him, just to his worried Mumsy.)

A large school is like a large city. You don't live in the whole thing, just your neighborhood. It sounds like BU would give him a great education. I like the idea of my dc being near extended family if the best school is a bit far from us. It's great that he's motivated and knows what he wants to study. :) Good work Mom.

I like the idea of my dc being near extended family if the best school is a bit far from us.

It is a comforting thought, isn't it? Personally I would like that he have the option to leave campus for an afternoon, evening or weekend to be with people who not only enjoy him, but would probably spoil him a bit. Or give him the opportunity to chill in a quiet place if he needed that. This goes beyond the dynamic of the college to that of relationships with uncles who do not have a son, men who really have a soft spot in their hearts for my kiddo.

There is so much more to "college" than a school or a department. As Gwen and others have pointed out, this is the event that launches our children who may only return to us for a few days or weeks thereafter.

So much to consider....

If your ds is not overwhelmed by the city-sounds, then BU is a wonderful place. It has tons of options as you mentioned and yes, their archeology program is well sought after.

My sister has just been studying one semester at BU and was living in one of their dorms. She had a wonderful time there. She said she became friendly with the staff in her building and mostly dined there with her friends. She liked that the staff knew her. She did go into those Towers you mentioned and apparently then they are not as bad at all as you think when seeing them from the outside!

Dd was also accepted to BU and would have flourished there except the city-noises way overwhelmed her on her overnight visit (my sister thrived on the energy of the city!!).

BU has amazing research opportunities. If the student is self-motivated and won't get lost in the sheer number of students, then BU is an amazing place to be at. When we went for the info-session the Dean mentioned right away that nobody will come knock on your door if you don't show up for class, but if you ask for help yourself many will come to help, or try to. She mentioned in almost the same breath the amazing travel-opportunities you have at BU so I guess it boils down to what is a fit for the student. Safety-wise then I felt convinced that BU is doing their part of keeping people safe.

Thanks for the input, Nadia. We were truly impressed with how welcoming the archaeology chair was and the potential research opportunities, as you mentioned.

Glad to hear that things are working out for your sister. Your comment on "city-noises" underscores the importance of an overnight stay for someone like my son who is not an urban kid. Good reminder.

All the best to your sister in her endeavors at BU!

Jane

Jane,

My isster already finished her term at BU and loved it (and the city). Boston is a wonderful place. Dd stayed overnight and couldn't sleep all night. However, she loved the bio-labs there. She is at college in a very quiet place and loves that.

I am curious about what your son has done to prepare himself for a study of archeology as I have one child who might have this kind of interest. If you don't mind, then I'd love to hear a bit about his high school years.

We are pretty straight forward WTMers following the history cycle (Spielvogel and Teaching Company lectures) and reading Great Books. My son has used Dolciani for math, Oxford then Bolchazy readers for Latin, French in Action.

Science: In 9th grade, we used Conceptual Physics, followed by our attempt at AP Bio in 10th using Campbell. In 11th, he took General Chem I and Microbiology at the CC.

He has also taken Western Civ I and II at the CC (will study American History there next year), as well as Expository Writing (is enrolled in Research Based Writing in the fall).

We've done a few "interesting" things along the way: we spent a month following Roman footsteps in Britain when my son was in 7th grade. He has regularly competed in Envirothon (my son loves to be outside) and has backpacked for PE and also as part of a Climate Change fractional credit that we cobbled together. (The latter included a Climate oriented backpacking trip organized by a college in NC.) 4-H has an annual electric project in NC. My son has taught the project to other 4-Hers and has also been involved in robotics and ROV (Remote Operated Vehicle) construction. The archaelogy profs with whom we spoke at Wesleyan, BU and Dickinson all commented that technology was changing the field. I think any work in robotics or electronics of some form would probably be helpful ultimately.

As I write, my son is volunteering with a field school that is excavating Civil War barracks. Unfortunately a lot of the digs require participants to be 18. He has lucked into finding situations that have allowed younger participants. I am particularly thrilled about his current experience because he is in the field for five days straight, rain or shine (and trust me it is hot down here), breaking through roots and hauling dirt. This is the test of whether he will think that historical research in a library is more attractive than swatting mosquitoes and ticks.

On Boston: it is vibrant city with so many bright young people. Opportunities would indeed abound for one who can tolerate the noise (and grit) of urban life. So much to consider...

Jane