Menu

AAS users...do you really need the phonogram CD???

Mommy7

I chose not to purchase it and we have went through Level 1 fine. Here is a website that has almost all of the phonograms sounds. If I need to hear something, I go there and play it for dd. I've used it maybe 3-5 times for all of level 1.

http://homepage.mac.com/ashleya/villa/spaldingmp3.html

It sometimes takes a bit to load, be patient and it'll pop up.

Okay, I'll probably skip the CD (could always purchase later, if necessary)

Do you need the extra student materials for each student?

I'll be changing all the children to AAS, so that means lots of student material packets, which means lots of MOOLa!

At least, that is what I am considering.

You would need the extra student material packets if you were going to put all of your students through the same levels at the same time. If you wanted to save some money, you could put your older children or better spellers through first (you would probably go rather quickly), and then start the younger/poorer spellers once the elders were finished. The materials are reusable.

Jumping in with a "reusable" question...

My 3 olders just moved up to level 2, and I was planning to keep 1 set of cards for my younger kids and then sell the others. But when I opened up level 2, I see that I need the phonogram cards and sound cards from level 1. Then in level 3 I need the phonogram cards, sound cards, and key cards. This tells me that not only can I not sell the cards, I have to buy a new set when my others start in with level 1 also.

How am I supposed to reuse the cards from levels 1 & 2 when I have a child in level 3 using them?:confused: Am I totally lost on something?

My 3 olders just moved up to level 2, and I was planning to keep 1 set of cards for my younger kids and then sell the others. But when I opened up level 2, I see that I need the phonogram cards and sound cards from level 1. Then in level 3 I need the phonogram cards, sound cards, and key cards. This tells me that not only can I not sell the cards, I have to buy a new set when my others start in with level 1 also.

How am I supposed to reuse the cards from levels 1 & 2 when I have a child in level 3 using them?:confused: Am I totally lost on something?

Kristen,

I wasn't thrilled with that either. They do cover they key cards through, repeating from level 1, but not phonograms or sound cards.

I went ahead and made each kids their own set of phonogram cards. Actually I had already done it for SWR, so I just had to number then according to AAS. ;)

For sound cards I do just use the one set for all 4 kiddos, and I don't review the ones they get wrong. I focus more on the phonogram cards and just use the sound cards for reinforcement.

You should also ask over on the Chatter Bee. I would love to hear what Marie has to say about it. It is very likely she will sell them separately if she knows there is a need. I know she has already done that with the silent e book.

Heather

Okay, I'll probably skip the CD (could always purchase later, if necessary)

Do you need the extra student materials for each student?

I'll be changing all the children to AAS, so that means lots of student material packets, which means lots of MOOLa!

At least, that is what I am considering.

I got away with just 2 sets, or have so far. I just started the first two and it only took my Sweet Pea (my oldest) 24 days to finish level 1, so the cards went down to sister, and she moved on to level 2. Pumpkin, my 2nd dd will finish level 1 in about 3 weeks and her cards will then go down to my ds. Given Sweet Pea is still covering level 2 at a pace of about 2 days per step (there are 26 steps I think), and Honey Dew (my 3rd dd) is going slowly through level 1, I think we will squeak by with just two sets of level 2 as well.

If you can stagger them as I did you can get away with less.

Heather

Kristen,

I wasn't thrilled with that either. They do cover they key cards through, repeating from level 1, but not phonograms or sound cards.

I went ahead and made each kids their own set of phonogram cards. Actually I had already done it for SWR, so I just had to number then according to AAS. ;)

For sound cards I do just use the one set for all 4 kiddos, and I don't review the ones they get wrong. I focus more on the phonogram cards and just use the sound cards for reinforcement.

You should also ask over on the Chatter Bee. I would love to hear what Marie has to say about it. It is very likely she will sell them separately if she knows there is a need. I know she has already done that with the silent e book.

Heather

It would be great if they offered "supplement" packs or something...say a child starts with level 3 - they'd need all those cards from levels 1 & 2 and they'd be stuck!

It would be great if they offered "supplement" packs or something...say a child starts with level 3 - they'd need all those cards from levels 1 & 2 and they'd be stuck!

Actually AAS doesn't recommend starting higher than level 2 because of all the rules, syllable types etc... introduced in that level.

As for handing on the materials packet--Unless you have a student who really struggles and needs continual review, I would just "borrow" the cards from the other student's box for that step 1 review. So, when you move from Level 2 to Level 3, for example, keep the Level 2 cards until you are done with step 1 of level 3, and just use the Level 1 cards that you have passed on for a day or two. The way the cards are organized in the tabs, it's easy to do even if the child doing that lower level has some in review, some in mastered, some in future--just grab a section, review those for the older student, put them back, review the next section etc...

The Level 1 cards are so basic, I don't review most of them (my kids DO need continual review, but not for the sound of B for example--I just review the multiple-sound phonograms and my younger one needs to review the double f-l-s rule sometimes.).

Anyway, HTH some! Merry :-)

I type up the spelling words for each level, so that I have them on one page. I mark on there when words are mastered or need to be reviewed more. If you do this, you don't need extra word cards.

My girls have been in the same level, but different places for the most part over the past year, but I didn't get extra materials packs.