Menu

Who does different programs for different kids?

I'm just wondering if anyone here uses different programs for different children? I have five and they all have different learning styles and aspire to different things. Here's my problem: I have SOTW to use with my 6yo. with the AG, I did not think it would be strong enough for my 8th grader so I was planning to use MOH with him. I had HOTAW for my 2 highschoolers because I was hoping to keep them together at least. My DD (she's a very strong reader) saw a sample of BF ancient history and begged me to buy it. I found a great deal and bought it and two of the books (I know I can use the books with other programs), not realizing that they had an Intermediate program along with the Senior high program in the same book. I've been thining of simplifying and using the BF guide for the olders ones, but i'm not sure. What do you think. For the record, my two boys read very well, but not quite as well or as much as their sister.

I have big age gaps between all of my kids (see sig block), they generally all have different learning styles and abilities. We do certain things togeterher regardless: Memory work (which we do a lot of, mainly from CC and Living Memory), Bible study (we used Christian Studies 1-3 this year as an overview- probably to fast for my younger ones but they'll get it again), videos (which can cover science, apologetics, history, lit, etc), and sometimes read-alouds, which might incorporate history.

Math -the notsolittles are on their own, my 18 and 14 yo are both getting tutored by their dad in the same book though they are on different lessons in the book.

The 2 younger and the 2 older do Latin together.

The 2 older do Logic together.

The 2 older do IEW but different theme books. The 18 yo teaches IEW to the freshman at co-op as well as leads the Shakespeare study. She participated in the poetry class but led it some days, too.

My 14 yo does Omni II on his own.

There's more but my point is that I try to incorporate lots of together time but obviously create a personalized learning environment for each of them.

We have done both. Different for all based on each individuals styles, etc... and combined with no adaptations. Now we combine but adapt, if that makes sense. This year we have been doing Sonlight Core 3+4 and LA4, and bible, with the two youngest, each doing their own Math, Science, Grammar, Write at Home Composition Classes and Art. The older one has been doing SOS American Government and Economics, SOS Physical Science, Easy Grammar Plus, Algebra, Home Economics CLE, and Bible from MFW Ancients high school year 1, and Rosetta Stone Spanish. So this year we have been completely seperate between the two younger and the older. Last year, we had some things combined with all, Bible, Art, and a character study, with the younger do doing MFW together. Before that we used TOG for several years with all of the children including our oldest who is now married and expecting a baby!!!

this is our coming year, we really wanted them all together for one last year before Ashley goes to cosmetology school and they all had an interest in Core 5 so it seems like a good idea.

ALL children, Sonlight Core 5, Sonlight LA 5, Art (Draw Today) We will do all of these TOGETHER! The readers are the only part that will be individual and even then, that will work like this: Day 1 child 1 and 2 read out loud to each other child 3 silently alone, Day 2 child 2 and 3 read out loud to each other, child 1 silently alone, Day 3 child 3 and 1 out loud to each other, 2 silently alone and etc.... so they all get work on out loud reading and silent reading.

Daughter 16 (ld child)

* Sonlight Bible 7

* Apologia Biology

* Geometry

* Extra Composition assignments in addition to LA5

* Spanish

Son 13

* Sonlight Bible 7

* Apologia Physical Science

* Algebra (Videotext and LOF)

* Vocabulary Cartoons SAT (he reads the page, copies the word and definition into his notebook, and writes an original sentence using the word. He does 3 words per day - we did the first book this year)

* Rosetta Stone Portuguese Level II

* Analytical Grammar

* Boy Scouts (finish Eagle Project, and 3 more merit badges - will get Eagle.

* Continue with his Piano lessons (he begs to practice) we actually have to tell him no sometimes because of other things needing done. He plays so beautifully that it amazes me.

Daughter 11

* Sonlight Bible 5

* Finish Singapore Primary Math series and TT Pre- Algebra

* Sonlight Science 5

* Wordly wise 3000 book 6 with Test booklet too

* Rosetta Stone French (finish level I -already using- and begin level II

* Growing with Grammar Grade 6

* Home Economics (Pearables series book 3)

* Continue with Piano lessons (likes to play but typical child sometimes doesn't want to practice)

If the schedule gets too hectic, we drop art, we never actually do art more than once a week, simply because life interferes!

I think it depends on your family situation if it would make sense to combine them or not. You know them best and if it would be more beneficial to use seperate programs entirely. Would the benefits (more individualized) outweigh the negatives (lots more planning/instruction time for you)? Or would combining (more togetherness and unity, but less geared toward individual styles) be better.

Talk to your husband, I've found they usually have some good insight.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth, didn't mean to write a book! Sorry.

Blessings

Sandra

I try to combine when I can. But right now I have two in two different cybers and my oldest I'm homeschooling on my own. I'm chomping at the bit to homeschool all of them so I can combine.

My oldest is using :

CLE LA and CLE Math,

Writing Tales

Maps Globes and Graphs for Geography

Apologia Science

Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers for History

My 2nd is using Calvert 4th and sits in when I read the science and history

My third is using K12 and sometimes sits in on the science with us too.

I'm planning on combining the History and Science with all three of my girls. Just adapting for my younger one when need be. I plan on combining my older two with Writing as well.

I only have 2 but they are close in age and I combine for history and literature, and Logic, but do separate LA and Maths programs.

I don't think I could handle everyone being in different history programs. I would try to pick one program and adapt it for everyone. Unless they could work independently. But history and literature is where I like us to all be on the same page,and do some together, and its the part of homeschooling I love the most :)

Thanks everyone, i'm thinking i'll probably combine them for now unless that doesn't work. Now, I have another question, which ones would you combine? I'm thining I could combine all four, my 1st and 8th grader in Biblioplan using SOTW and MOH as their spines and maybe my 11th and 12th grader in the BF guide or should I combine all three of the older one in the BF guide and let the younger one fly solo? What do you think?