Menu

Pre-Calculus advice needed.

Alright, I admit it! My son needs a REAL math teacher next fall for precalc. Math is not my game, but my son really likes it. In the fall, he will begin his junior year of high school and needs a strong math foundation due to interests in engineering. Help! He is currently finishing Paul Forester's Algebra II (supplemented with Thinkwell College Algebra). I own Forester's PreCalc with Trigonometry book, but I know there is NO way I can help my son. It's all Greek to me! Several options I have considered are local high school (yikes) for one math class, local community college (price is $900 - another yikes), local tutor, or on-line course (some of the courses are pricey for my meager budget). The local tutor, could be expensive, is a possiblity, but I am concerned that a once a week instruction is not enough. No doubt my son will have questions on an assignment while I will run and hide! My heart's desire is for him to really develop a strong math foundation, to be well prepared for college. Help! Any suggestions would be much appreciative for this non-math mom!

I would go to the dean of the math department at the local CC, explain your situation, and ask if he knows of any good but reasonable tutors, or someone who could mentor your ds on a pro-bono basis. You could also ask if there are any math interest groups around to whom he could refer you. See where that path leads you...

We think that Lial's precal book combined with the Thinkwell videos make a great combo, and using those, I do think someone could meet on a weekly basis with your ds, and it could be enough.

BTW, not that you mentioned this, but I do not recommend BJU precalc with homesat videos.

HTH