Menu

Veritas Press Comprehension Guides

Suzanne115

They're basic comprehension questions with a few activities thrown in. My dd didn't love them, but I made her do some for the writing. Buy one or two, try them, and see how they do for your dc, that's my suggestion. You never know till you try. Total Language Plus has some amazing looking guides that are more multi-faceted, with kinesthetic activities, etc. Progeny Press tends to delve more fully into the meaning, applications, etc. VP is just straight comprehension, who did what, that sort of thing. We're doing the BJU Reading, which I really like for the 5th grade book and now the 6th grade books.

At the second grade level, I don't think I'd bother with them. Let's face it, we're not talking about incredible complexity here, and I'm sure you can come up with enough questions on your own, or just have your dd narrate the stories back to you in her own words, and then ask her to explain a few passages or see what she would think of the characters if she met them in her real life.

When my ds was that age, I was a complete idiot. I bought all kinds of comprehension guides, thinking I'd need them, and when they arrived, I thought, "I paid 20 bucks for this... and 12.99 for this... and 24.99 for this???" The questions are generally pretty basic, and certainly not something you couldn't come up with on your own.

Cat

I agree with Cat, that the value was in the writing, not some need for profundity in a 2nd grader. There's no profundity to the VP guides. If you want them for the writing, or if your dc actually needs the prodding to go through those books, great. But you certainly don't "need" lit guides beyond that.

I think they are of great worth!! My childre learn to scan a chapter and answer in complete sentences. I have very high standards for their sentence structure and handwriting for these workbooks. Their writing skills improve a lot! I use 3 per year along with the CLE reading ( I only use the CLE lightunits in grades 4 and up).