Menu

Dr. Hive: Sand in Eyes!?

First off, he has an appointment this afternoon at 3:15.

Now, my youngest son (age 5) was at park day yesterday and took a huge shovel full of sand to the face. It was an accident, but wow it was a lot of sand. He was standing in the sand area with his hands at his sides screaming loud enough for the whole park to hear when I got to him. He wouldn't open his eyes. I got as much sand off his face as I could and then poured water from our water bottles into his eyes for a good half hour. The other moms refilled my water bottles so I didn't run out. After a while we got the sand mostly out and he seemed fine until all of a sudden he was screaming again. Then about an hour or so he seemed really fine and wanted to go play light sabers again. So I let him.

Another mom was adamant that he go to the ER last night. But I didn't take him because he seemed okay and it didn't seem necessary to drag three kids and a stressed mom to the ER. This morning when he woke up one eye was watering and he said both felt like there was still sand in there. So I called his doc and he will be seen at 3:15. He is now acting fine, but I am feeling paranoid.

So what says Dr. Hive? Is there something else I should have done? Should I have taken him in last night? The accident was at about 4:45 so I couldn't have gotten him into his doc yesterday at all, I wasn't thinking that far ahead. I was holding is hands from his face and pouring water instead.

So what says Dr. Hive? Is there something else I should have done? Should I have taken him in last night? The accident was at about 4:45 so I couldn't have gotten him into his doc yesterday at all, I wasn't thinking that far ahead. I was holding is hands from his face and pouring water instead.

I don't know peds, but in general, eyes are VERY sensitive, and any trauma to the outsides causes a person GREAT distress. If a child is running and playing I'm not thinking scratches or infection.

They used to goop and patch like mad. We had a scratched cornea last year and it was 2 days of goop and no patch....and that was a finger nail gouge. FYI.

I think you weren't a bad mommy.

Here's betting there is no sand, but some irritated eyelid lining that needs some lubricant.:grouphug: to your trooper.

Thank you for the reassurance. I couldn't take him directly to the eye doctor, not even today. Our insurance requires a referral from his primary doctor. So my choices were ER/Urgent Care and waiting until today and seeing the primary guy.

I really think he is fine. At least I hope so.

I'll update after we get back tonight.

Peter is fine. The doctor shown a light in his eyes and decided they looked so good he didn't need to use the dye. Hooray!

So if you ever have a problem with sand in the eyes, rinse well with water for as long as it takes and hope for best.