Menu

2 year old suggestions

I just thought it would be easier to school the olders if I had something cool for him set up. I was going to use the suggestions in Managers of Their Home by assigning an older child to play with him for 30 minute stretches and so forth. At least that will get us through a part of the morning until lunch and nap where he is occupied with something other than Diego (his fav)...

Look at some Montessori websites for some easy Montessori materials you can put together yourself. I culled a lot of ideas from the Montessori Services catalog, as well as the books "Teaching Montessori in the Home."

My son's preschool had a cool item: a ring of heavy-duty cardboard, as if it was originally from a mega roll of tape, in which was a ball of grey-ish clay that never hardened.

The clay had a set of golf tees stuck into it. The kid used a small wooden mallet to hammer down the tees, then pulled them out and did it over. I thought it was brilliant. :001_smile:

Using a tiny spoon or children's tweezers to move pom-poms from one bowl to the next, spooning beans, using a plastic knife to slice fruit and arrange onto plates for snacks, . . . the opportunities are endless.

I find tons of ideas here. There are many ideas of how to do things inexpensively (of course, you could always do them the other way :)).

I have also posted many of our activities on my blog (below).

I don't know if these will help, but I hope they will.

Edited by rockermom

Montessori Materials are my preference for that age. I like the "Montessori Concepts" website. That's where I buy my stuff from. I just have a shelf out in the common area, and I rotate the items on it. Once in a while I show the little guy how to use them, but if not, he figures it out.

Montessori Materials are my preference for that age. I like the "Montessori Concepts" website. That's where I buy my stuff from. I just have a shelf out in the common area, and I rotate the items on it. Once in a while I show the little guy how to use them, but if not, he figures it out.

I do the same, but I mostly make or use items from around the house. I use the Montessori supply sites for ideas. :tongue_smilie:

I know how tough it is to handle a 2 year old. They’re very restless at this age so I would suggest you get educational toys especially those that will require some mental and motor skills. I think the Montessori schools use this technique. Play nursery rhyme songs as well to expose them to music.

I have an area set aside for my toddler.

She sometimes wanders over to her area to play, other times she plays in her room etc.

She has a table and stools, next to shelving units which contain the bulk of her play items.

Some of the items she can access are:

*puzzles

*sensory tray ( filled with small pebbles)...she puts her tubs of animals in here.

* Big container filled with dried beans...she has measuring jugs and scoops etc to use with the beans

* real teas set/crockery, she also has chopsticks, saucers, spoons etc to use

* playdough + cookie cutters etc

* chalk

* lego and SOFT blocks ( all the floors are tiled so soft blocks are great!)

* paper, paste, scissors, stickers, pencils, textas etc

* stile tiles

* books

* stamps + ink pads

* dolls

* beads to thread

* flash cards etc

The last entry on my blog has pictures of my toddler in her area ( sorry- Im having problems loading my blog today- you may have better luck)

I checked your blog out! You are doing great!! Thanks for the ideas!

I find tons of ideas here. There are many ideas of how to do things inexpensively (of course, you could always do them the other way :)).

I have also posted many of our activities on my blog (below).

I don't know if these will help, but I hope they will.