Menu

Books on Islam

Islam: A Short Introduction: Signs, Symbols and Values (Oneworld Short Guides)

The author gives you a virtual tour of a mosque, stopping to explain the significance of what is in it. I thought it was a pretty good explaination of the practices and significance of rituals and symbols. Not a kids book, but very readable. Might give you the background you're looking for.

I also saw that Sarah Conover, who wrote the book we enjoyed called Kindness that has stories from Buddhism for children, has written a book with stories from Islam for children. It is Ayat Jamilah. I haven't read it, but her other book was very good. It seems like they are part of a series of folk and traditional tales centered around a religious tradition.

For fiction, my kids have enjoyed these:

http://www.astrolabe.com/search/results.php?searchterms=hassan+radwan&x=0&y=0

They are mysteries where three boys (one each Muslim, Christian and Jew) work together to solve it. The main character is the Muslim boy, and it portrays aspects of a Muslim lifestyle without being preachy about it; also addresses some issues facing Muslim families (like the conflict between parents coming from a "traditional" culture and their kids living in a "western" culture).

There is also this series, which are also mysteries, but while interesting I didn't find the writing as engaging:

http://www.astrolabe.com/product/76/Invincible_Abdullah_-_4_Book_Set.html