Menu

Hewitt Homeschooling Across America?

I haven't used the full program, but I have used the American Tales reader that comes with the 3&4 grade supplement. The stories were just right last year for an introduction to American history. They are framed inside the story of a history-loving family telling stories to two kids. There is some religious content, but not much. There are questions at the end of each section that are are more likely to have religious content than the stories themselves. I'd assume that the Across America reader is similar but at a lower reading level. Did you see the sample week?

I have it, and honestly, it's worth the money. It's intended as a full year curriculum, so it's not just geography, and the binders are huge. Cathy Duffy reviewed the program on her website. I'll find the link and post it for you in a few minutes.

As I recall, the Across America reader is designed for around a second grade reading level, and it's quite cute. The American Tales book and activity book are for third grade, and I recommend them, too. You could get both and see which is best for your dc's reading level. If American Tales is still a bit too difficult, it makes a great read-aloud, so you wouldn't be wasting your money on it.

Cat

Found it!

Here's the link:

http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/unit-studies/across-america.htm

I don't know whether or not Hewitt still offers the complete packages; if they aren't listed on the website, you can always call and ask. They also have a Yahoo group, but it's not too active. They answer your questions pretty quickly there, though, so if you order the curriculum, you might want to join.

Cat

Carmen, I'm not sure that's such a great deal.

You need the student workbook and you'd also want the activity guide that goes along with American Tales. You may want to contact the seller to clarify exactly what you'll be getting, as if you still have to place an additional order with Hewitt, you may not end up saving enough money to make it worth buying the used set.

Cat