Menu

so, who won Preakness??

Filly Rachel Alexandra Wins Preakness, First Female Champion in 85 Years

Saturday, May 16, 2009 service_ap_36.gif

2_62_051609_preakness_win.jpg AP

May 16: Jockey Calvin Borel, right, gestures after riding Rachel Alexandra to victory in the 134th running of the Preakness Stakes.

#story .gallery_container p.caption{display:none !important;} #story .gallery_container p.strut{color:#000;} May 16: Jockey Calvin Borel, right, gestures after riding Rachel Alexandra to victory in the 134th running of the Preakness Stakes.

• 2_42_051609_preakness_win.jpg
  • 0_41_preakness1_50.jpg

BALTIMORE — Rachel Alexandra not only ran with the boys, she beat every one of them.

Rachel Alexandra became the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes since 1924, holding off a late charge by Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird to capture the middle jewel of the Triple Crown on Saturday by a length.

Calvin Borel, who rode Mine That Bird in the Derby, switched to Rachel Alexandra and guided her to a sixth straight victory.

The only filly in the 13-horse race, Rachel Alexandra went off as the 9-5 favorite and became the first horse to win from the No. 13 post at Pimlico. She moved to the front and took a big lead before Mine That Bird tested her in the stretch.

Musket Man finished third, as he did in the Derby, followed by Flying Private and Big Drama.

Rachel Alexandra covered the 1 3-16th miles in 1:55.08.

She paid $5.60, $4.60 and $3.60. Mine That Bird paid $6.60 and $4.80, and Musket Man returned $5 on a show bet.

The last filly to win a Preakness was Nellie Morse.

yeah really!! I wonder why he switched....dont they usually stay with the horse??

If I'm remembering correctly - the filly was one of his favorite horses he'd ridden in the past. When he found out she was going to race in the Preakness, he approached her new owners (the guy had just purchased her a few weeks ago) requesting to ride.

We were almost late to something today waiting on the race. :D Glad we waited. The last race the kids watched on tv was sometime last year when a filly (I'm pretty sure?) had to be put down immediately after the race when she tripped or fell. So, this whole race, I was hoping all the horses would make it through okay - my kids might never have been willing to sit down with me to watch another race - they were soooooo sad the last time.

ooohhhh, I hadnt realized that the jockey who rode "Mind that Bird" switched. I guess it has a lot to do with the rider!

The jockey said that Rachel Alexandria was the best horse he'd ever riden. Period. That's why he switched back onto her. He'd won on her in the Ketucky Oaks the day before he won on Mine that Bird in the Derby.