Menu

ebay users...I have a question...

I hope its okay to ask this here...just not sure where to get an answer. If you have sold something on ebay, what is the customary length to wait for payment?? If ebay sent a email telling the buyer to pay and you have sent an invoice about the item you sold...how long do you wait for payment until you contact the buyer???

I am new to ebay selling and just wondered if anyone here has sold something there?? I looked around the ebay site for answers, but can't find that specific answer....

Thanks so much!

I think it depends on the seller. I have seen some auctions that require payment within 24 hours, or some with in 3 days, and I think I've even seen a few the require it within 7 days (usually if they are going to accept check or money order though). When my dh sells something on Ebay he usually requires payment within 3 days. He includes this info with the payment instructions on the auction. Hope this helps.

I always say in my auction how many days and what type of payments I accept. But I didn't always. It took a couple of slow payers to make me change my ways. Take time to read comprable items being sold and apply some of the same to your auctions in the future. I usually say there must be confirmation within 48 hours, payment within 10 days of auction end time (to allow money order payments mail time). Most people don't send payment anymore (or so it seems) so I expect payment quickly. If you are wanting to sell more, check out the eBay forums. You can learn lots just by reading those.

As soon as eBay will let you send a payment reminder, do so. And keep track of the days. You can start filing a dispute early if you have sent an invoice, then sent a reminder, and waited without hearing from the buyer.

edited to add: check out ebay's policies. I have not sold or had problems in several months, but they used to have a policy stating how many days you had to wait. I have also found live help a good resource.

Edited by Dobela

excellent advice. I was looking for some sort of forums on ebay and didn't find it. I will look again.

I appreciate the recommendation to wait 10 days. I did already send an invoice, so gill give it a little more time before I send another notice.

Thanks!

I am sure there is a policy, just not sure what it is!

Check out the community boards. Look for the professional seller and professional buyer boards. Ask your questions and you will get tons of help. Some of them are kind of snarky, just let it roll off your back.

Hi,

I sold a lot of my curriculum on Ebay last year. I usually received payment within a couple of days. Since you did not specifiy a time period, I would wait seven to ten days. Some people are on vacation, computer down, etc, and they haven't checked their messages. After ten days, send a reminder for payment and give it an additional few days. After two weeks if payment is not received, then you can start reporting them for non-payment and relist your item. Sometimes the reporting for nonpayment, you'll get a response fast. I remember I was about to relist and started reporting a buyer for a nonpayment when the buyer contacted me quickly and made payment. Hope this helps!

There's no reason why you couldn't send your buyer a friendly email congratulating them for winning your auction and asking when you may expect payment. If you don't receive a reply within a few days, send another email and a second invoice.

Have you read your buyer's feedback? Is there any mention of slow payment?

Cat

I expect to hear from the buyer within 3 days and to received payment within 10 days of the close of the auction. I have granted exceptions but only if the person contacts me before bidding. If I have not heard from the person in 10 days I file a non paying bidder form with ebay and then offer it to the second highest bidder or relist the item.

Karen