Menu

If you've reached the upper levels of AAS, where would you classify the words learned

to a "traditional" spelling program? I have rising 5th & 7th graders. My oldest has completed MW3, but sometimes will miss a simpler word (please, for example). My youngest can spell, but has no confidence in his spelling, so he constantly asks me how to spell things.

We tried the Level 2 or 3 sample (I'd have to double check which one) and they spelled everything correctly except please and reach. They liked the format of the lesson (we used Scrabble tiles for the spelling). I think the reinforcement of the rules would be beneficial, but I don't want to start us over completely if it won't carry them far enough along.

I talked with someone from AAS on the phone and they said the Level 4 was comparable to 5/6, 5 would be thru 7/8, and 6 would be thru early high school. I just don't know if I agree with that from the sample words from 4 on their site.

Any suggestions from users with older students? I am going to try to look at MW4 in person if I can, but towards then end of the 3rd book, it just seemed as if my ds wasn't learning anything.

Thanks!

Kim

Kim,

I own level 4, and the words look easy to me too. Here is what I think is going on. She IS using the easiest words to demonstrate the principles of spelling. While you are using easy words to demonstrate that, they do still equally apply to more difficult words, thus still take you through the knowledge needed to spell words at a college level, though the words themselves are not at that level.

To be honest I plan to go through all the levels of AAS, then return to SWR and go through their list using AAS methods, then use Megawords to work with more challenging words. I also have my oldest break down her vocab words for science, LA and history using the SWR mark ups so she is used to analyzing tougher words.

Heather

Thanks, Heather! Your plan sounds like a good one. I know they would even benefit from the dictation incorporated into AAS. It just seems there are "easy" words that have fallen thru the cracks here. We have loved MW until now, so maybe we could use the AAS method for the MW lists on the days the worksheets are "out there", so to speak.

The man at AAS said they used the Ayres List and the Extended Ayres List for the word selection. I've googled, but can't find it. Is there somewhere you can see that list?

You know I mentioned how they both missed the words please and reach? There isn't a rule, is there, to know to use "ea"? I asked the AAS man, but he didn't know!

Thanks!

Kim

Thanks, Heather! Your plan sounds like a good one. I know they would even benefit from the dictation incorporated into AAS. It just seems there are "easy" words that have fallen thru the cracks here. We have loved MW until now, so maybe we could use the AAS method for the MW lists on the days the worksheets are "out there", so to speak.

The man at AAS said they used the Ayres List and the Extended Ayres List for the word selection. I've googled, but can't find it. Is there somewhere you can see that list?

You know I mentioned how they both missed the words please and reach? There isn't a rule, is there, to know to use "ea"? I asked the AAS man, but he didn't know!

Thanks!

Kim

Hi Kim! You were probably talking to Greg in the shipping department.

There really is no way to tell whether a word will use ea, ee, or e_e or ie for the long e sound. EA and EE are the most common though, while E_E and IE are not as common (The ABC's and All Their Tricks lists the latter two at under 100, and the former two have 300 some). BTW, that's a great reference book for looking up a spelling pattern quickly, seeing how common it is, seeing if there are any guiding rules and how common exceptions are. I refer to it fairly often.

One thing I like about how AAS introduces these spellings, though, is that they teach the most common ones first. And then there are a lot of lessons inbetween the introduction of each spelling type--so kids get confident and fluent with one before adding on another.

After Level 6, kids will be spelling at the high school level (Levels 5 & 6 are tentatively due out this year).

Ayers Spelling Scale

Merry :-)

Kim,

AAS has the Ayers list up on their website here.

I am using AAS because I love the way it demonstrates the rules, and give procedures for figuring out which sounds to use, like with c and k to try c first because it is more commonly used, then if there is a i, e or y you know it can't be c because it would say s, so you use k. I don't know if it is the visual aid of the tiles or what but I had that rule memorized with SWR, but I (I am a terrible speller) was horrible at applying it. SWR has really helped my oldest two, both are spelling a grade ahead, but both stalled out this year and didn't improve at all. I think it was because while they know the rules, they are struggling to apply them consistently. I think the jant into AAS will give them a break, and help them focus on the rules for a while, and hopefully become more consistent at applying them.

With please and reach, no I don't know of a specific rule. For two letter spellings of E I don't know that EA and EE are the most common. In my mind comes down to building visual memory of the word, so I would just continue to keep them in the review pile having them both spell it and read it. Seeing the word correctly spelled over and over again should help them develop that internal, "that doesn't look right," check. By all means add any words that they struggle with outside of AAS add to the review. Marie posted a form for making your own cards here. I know in SWR you would use visual clues to help the child realize it was a double letter phonogram in play, but there are still other two letter phonograms that make the /E/ sound, so that one is not full proof either.

I think the biggest thing that frustrates me about spelling is that if you don't use it you start to loose it, both the ability to remember apply the rules and loosing that visual memory of how the words look when spelled correctly. In this house they won't be able to say they didn't learned it through. :D

Heather

Here is the original Ayres document, it shows how to test your child's spelling level based on the Ayres words.

The scores are about 2 grade levels above current public school averages, the tests were given when phonetic spelling was taught and spelling and phonics was emphasized. They are a good measure of where a well taught child should be.

http://books.google.com/books?id=y0JMAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=a+measuring+scale+spelling&as_brr=1

Instructions on how to give the test to an individual student are on page 37, the scale you'll need to reference is on page 28, and the word lists you'll need to use start on page 51.

Here is the original Ayres document, it shows how to test your child's spelling level based on the Ayres words.

The scores are about 2 grade levels above current public school averages, the tests were given when phonetic spelling was taught and spelling and phonics was emphasized. They are a good measure of where a well taught child should be.

http://books.google.com/books?id=y0JMAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=a+measuring+scale+spelling&as_brr=1

Instructions on how to give the test to an individual student are on page 37, the scale you'll need to reference is on page 28, and the word lists you'll need to use start on page 51.

So are you saying that a child who tests at a 2.2 grade level on the Ayers list is really at a 4th grade level? Or vice versa?