Menu

S/O Rod & Staff Math...If you didn't like it...

LunaLee

We used it in the past. I find the the math is really great in the lower grades as it has plenty of drill and reinforcement but we lost ground in the older years. After grade 4, the books didn't have enough explanation of the concepts for me to teach.

Older ds was not as well prepared for std tests as I would have thought he was considering how well he did in R&S math. There was math on std. tests (IOWA & HSPT) that was never covered in R&S.

I switched younger ds to CLE math 5 after he used R&S math 1-4. CLE covers higher math much earlier and more thoroughly than R&S. I'm VERY happy we switched.

We've been using the 7th grade book this past semester, after using Abeka from 2K-5th. I really like it. It is a lot like the english program and builds on the foundation incrementally. The word problems seem a lot tougher than A Beka's, or at least they don't just show you a pattern and then everything fits the pattern. They require more thinking IMHO. I think the lessons are explained well, and the teacher's notes are well done. The only negative, and it is small at this level, is that they give you the answers, but not the solutions. I have had a couple of word problems that I would have like to have had the worked out solutions for, but really, I was able to figure them all out within 10 min. or so. They just took a little more thought on my part. I know you were looking for negatives, but I was surprised at how much I liked this program. It also seems to teach mental math "tricks," that A Beka did not. My son is finally starting to do some problems in his head. He always paniced like a deer before if he didn't have paper to solve the simplest of problems. We're pleased and will be moving onto the 8th grade book when we finish up this text. HTH.

My reasons:

1. I just plain ol' don't like old fashioned black/white books:) I like modern, bright & colorful!

2. The scope/sequence didn't seem to follow the typical standardized test, which was important for me in teaching math to my kids.

I picked BJU for those 2 reasons. I have friends that love old fashioned like textbooks and have really liked Rod & Staff.

Oldest dd did BJUP for grades k-5 then key to Fractions and Key to Decimals for 6th. Tried R&S for grade 7 and we dropped after a little over 2 months. It was very dry. It didn't explain concepts in a way that dd was used to. She switched to LOF and Key to Percents. She loves LOF. I love the Key to Math series.

Youngest is doing R&S 2nd grade math this year. It's been great for lots of drill. Lots and lots of drill. Some concepts, like money moved too quickly for her. I know there are people out there who make their child do every problem on every page but that didn't work for us. We do some work orally, we skip problems. Sometimes we even skip a lesson.

My biggest issue with R&S is the sameness. After a while you start seeing a pattern and it gets dull. At least it has for us.

We did R&S Math 1 and at the end of it DS didn't seem to be understanding the material. We tried Singapore but that was a total disaster for this child.

We switched to Saxon and it has been wonderful. He is getting both true understanding and solid memory of the addition/subtraction facts. He's not a math whiz (he's language oriented) but actually thinks he's not "dumb at math" anymore using this program.

I've been thinking about all the responses here and on the other thread, for now I think I'll plan on sticking with Singapore in the fall. Frank Schaffer is coming out with the practice and word problem workborks in June, hopefully they will have what I'm looking for in terms of supplemental work.

Rod and Staff looks like it has the mastery approach that I'm looking for, but I know the plain texts will bother my son. That's why we switched from Singapore US to Standards, he wanted more color on his pages. And I'm still not sure how I feel about the scope and sequence.

Thanks for all the input.