Menu

Help me be a fun mom...

Can you list any of your favorite websites, books, magazines, etc. that will give me ideas for fun activities(games, art projects, etc) to do with my children? I already get Family Fun, but am rarely inspired by it. Is there anything else out there? I feel like it's school all the time and I desire to actually have fun. It's one of those things I think I'd be really great at if they were in school and I could plan all day and do it after school, but that's not an option for me!

I would highly suggest reading "Playful Parenting" by Larry Cohen. I am not naturally a playful person, so it was a tremendous help to me in learning to lighten up and play with my kids. (still working on it every day) It's a parenting book, not a list of games or anything like that, but well worth the read!

What is it that a 'fun mom' does?

Whatever that is to you, start incorporating a little of it into your day. For me it meant taking a field trip or nature walk each Friday and making sure we played at least 2 board games a week. It could mean allowing your daughter to put makeup on you one afternoon or having a tea party. It could mean getting down on the ground and playing cars for an hour with your son.

Or it could be something unexpected like shooting your kids with a water gun when they least expect it.

I love the Family Fun magazine, and they have a website as well. It is a Disney owned publication, although it's not "Disney oriented". But it's just chock full of crafts, activities, ideas, all easy to do and fun. Love it!

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess my problem is planning and implementing ideas. I don't feel like a super mom. I had friends that I grew up with whose moms had tea parties, crafts, fun snacks, yard games etc. set up when they got home from school each day. My mom worked. I don't want to be like her. We never did anything fun with her. I don't even recall her playing with us. Even though I'm home all day with my kids, I tend to focus on getting school work done and then it's on to chores, etc. I do play games on a daily basis, read fun books and we occasionally cook together. We do tons of activities as a family on weekends. I guess that all counts. Crafts are pretty much me setting out the supplies while I get something else done so that is my weak area. Maybe I am fun, but it doesn't seem like it most days. I do need to learn to play because I do not do that well. I've never been one to sit on the floor and play dolls with my dd or cars with ds. I'm not very imaginative and my attention span is horrible. My kids hardly ever play with toys and I think it is my fault.

I do play games on a daily basis, read fun books and we occasionally cook together. We do tons of activities as a family on weekends. I guess that all counts. Crafts are pretty much me setting out the supplies while I get something else done so that is my weak area.

All of that sounds like a lot of fun to me. :D

Do your kids keep themselves occupied in productive and creative ways? Do they complain about being bored or plunk themselves down in front of the TV for hours and hours every day? If your kids are happy and know how to entertain themselves, if they get a good amount of quality time with you, then I think they (and you) are okay. Not everyone is into crafts and decorating cupcakes with smiley faces and making up cute little obstacle courses. :D

However, if you still want to get more fun into your lives, you can try:

1. Music. Sing together. Do action rhymes and finger plays (monkeys jumping on the bed, spiders crawling up water spouts, the hoeky pokey etc). Clap out beats. Dance to music. Pretend to be animals (slither, hop, jump, bearwalk).

2. Draw together. Get a doodling book to do with your kids, like this one.

3. For craft ideas, I keep an eyes on several blogs like The Crafty Crow, Deep Space Sparkle and Art Projects for Kids.

4. You can tie your play into what you're studying. If you're doing Egypt, build lego pyramids. If you're studying volcanoes, make eruptions out of vineger and baking soda.

5. When you're outside together, you can kick, throw or hit balls to each other. You can sketch trees and plants. You can make fairy houses.

But really, I think you'll be a more fun mom if you find out what excites *you*, what triggers your passions and invite your children to be a part of that experience.

HTH!

~Rabia