Menu

I finished my first race yesterday -- a half-marathon!

It felt great! I only started running last June, so after 10.5 months, it's amazing to me that I can go from running three minutes at a time, to a max of three kilometres, to running a half-marathon!

Here's a pic:

IMG_5961

(there were 12,000 runners!)

For those that are feeling like a couch-to-5k program is impossible...it IS. Just take it one step at a time and you can realize your goal.

Edited by 4kids4me

That is just phenomenal! Congrats! I felt the same way after running my first 1/2. Before you know it you'll be doing triathalons!

Camille, I'm going to do a try-a-tri this summer! AND, the verse you have at the end, Hebrews 12:1, was a verse my 6yo told me I should say during the race...and I wrote it on my arm! Too funny. :)

Hi Jennifer,

I think I'll do another 1/2 in the fall...there are two in downtown Toronto which are really popular and have lots of participants, but there's one outside of Toronto near where I live that's smaller (900 people) and totally different -- running on country roads. The downfall is that it's a little hillier than the Toronto races, so we'll see!

You can totally do it. When I upped my mileage from 10k to 12k, then 14k then 16k I just couldn't believe it...then came 18 and 20k and it felt ok...tiring, but doable! Honestly, I'm SUCH a slow runner (always the slowest in our group, but also the most unfit when I started and everyone else were either fit or had been running longer than myself), but it paid off!

Caralyn

It felt great! I only started running last June, so after 10.5 months, it's amazing to me that I can go from running three minutes at a time, to a max of three kilometres, to running a half-marathon!

Here's a pic:

IMG_5961

(there were 12,000 runners!)

For those that are feeling like a couch-to-5k program is impossible...it IS. Just take it one step at a time and you can realize your goal.

Wow! That's so inspiring!! You look GREAT for having just run 13.1 miles!! :)

I just decided to do my first half-marathon next March, so it will be 17 months after I started Couch to 5K! Thank you SO much for the inspiration!! Do you have any helpful hints or words of wisdom for me? Which training program did you use for the half?

Niffercoo,

I can email you my training programs if you want (just pm me). I have one for a learn to run (5k), then a 10k, and finally a 1/2 marathon. My coach works at a sport store in our town and she used to work at the Running Room (you have that in the States, right?). Based on her experience (she's an Ironman) she's made a program perfect for beginner, intermediate, and more advanced runners. Honestly, since last June I've only ever run 3 days/week and I STILL managed to finish a 1/2, so it's possible! I was also encouraged by her to start swimming, which I did in October (I went from being able to do a 12m front crawl before I got claustrophobic to joining a tri class and doing 500m in a row now!).

Running with a group was helpful for me, especially during the cold weather we had in the winter. Everyone was ahead of me, so I tried to use their experience as an inspiration. I prayed a lot. :) I emailed a friend about a month ago when I was about to quit training for the 1/2 and she emailed back and said it was COMPLETELY normal for me to feel like I was feeling. I'm learning that I need people and their encouragement more than I though I did! I went out the next day and bought a new running outfit and renewed my commitment to my goal! It cost a lot (lol), but it was worth it (I was wearing the outfit for my race yesterday).

You can totally do it. I STILL have weight to lose...I've only lost 8lbs since last June, but that's because I haven't changed my eating habits. I think losing weight will help me run faster (that's just me theory!). If I can do it anyone can. One step at a time, one day at a time, one run at a time. It's amazing to see the progress. Oh yes, be sure to keep a training log and write down your mileage and times...each week add up the miles and you can see after a few months just how many miles you've run and how much you've progressed. THAT'S an inspiration!

Caralyn :)

You can totally do it. When I upped my mileage from 10k to 12k, then 14k then 16k I just couldn't believe it...then came 18 and 20k and it felt ok...tiring, but doable! Honestly, I'm SUCH a slow runner (always the slowest in our group, but also the most unfit when I started and everyone else were either fit or had been running longer than myself), but it paid off!

Caralyn

You just keep inspiring me, Caralyn! I'm a slow-poke, too and sometimes I get discouraged because I'm so slow compared to everyone I started running with. :)

Niffercoo,

I can email you my training programs if you want (just pm me). I have one for a learn to run (5k), then a 10k, and finally a 1/2 marathon. My coach works at a sport store in our town and she used to work at the Running Room (you have that in the States, right?). Based on her experience (she's an Ironman) she's made a program perfect for beginner, intermediate, and more advanced runners. Honestly, since last June I've only ever run 3 days/week and I STILL managed to finish a 1/2, so it's possible! I was also encouraged by her to start swimming, which I did in October (I went from being able to do a 12m front crawl before I got claustrophobic to joining a tri class and doing 500m in a row now!).

Running with a group was helpful for me, especially during the cold weather we had in the winter. Everyone was ahead of me, so I tried to use their experience as an inspiration. I prayed a lot. :) I emailed a friend about a month ago when I was about to quit training for the 1/2 and she emailed back and said it was COMPLETELY normal for me to feel like I was feeling. I'm learning that I need people and their encouragement more than I though I did! I went out the next day and bought a new running outfit and renewed my commitment to my goal! It cost a lot (lol), but it was worth it (I was wearing the outfit for my race yesterday).

You can totally do it. I STILL have weight to lose...I've only lost 8lbs since last June, but that's because I haven't changed my eating habits. I think losing weight will help me run faster (that's just me theory!). If I can do it anyone can. One step at a time, one day at a time, one run at a time. It's amazing to see the progress. Oh yes, be sure to keep a training log and write down your mileage and times...each week add up the miles and you can see after a few months just how many miles you've run and how much you've progressed. THAT'S an inspiration!

Caralyn :)

I sent you a PM!

Excellent!! Doesn't that feel like an amazing accomplishment?

I did my first half 2 years ago and was so proud of myself for finishing it. I still don't consider myself a passionate runner, but I've done two more half-marathons since then and LOVE doing that distance.

Great job!!

Excellent!! Doesn't that feel like an amazing accomplishment?

I did my first half 2 years ago and was so proud of myself for finishing it. I still don't consider myself a passionate runner, but I've done two more half-marathons since then and LOVE doing that distance.

Great job!!

It feels like an amazing accomplishment. You know, I'm great at starting stuff but not so great at following through, so it was really important to me that I follow through.

I also felt like *I* need a goal for me. I love serving my family, etc, but sometimes a mom can get lost in the daily grind of schooling, laundry, outside activities, etc. It can be quite discouraging being a parent...it's a long time until the goal is realized (is it ever, I wonder?). This was an attainable goal where I saw the results of my hard work. In the process I let myself become encouraged by those that are more experienced (ok, I do that in my schooling journey, too, but these were IRL people, kwim?), and maybe, just maybe, I've encouraged someone else (my kids? my friend? not sure!).

I agree that the 1/2 is a great distance. At the moment it would take too much time to commit to a full marathon, but I felt like a 10k wouldn't be enough incentive for me (though I'm looking forward to trying a 10k now!). It's got that "wow" factor, kwim? lol

Thanks! :)

Caralyn, that is AWESOME! :hurray: Congratulations on completing your goal! I'm seriously considering starting to run, and you're an inspiration!

Also, I agree with the others; the pic you attached needs to be your new avatar! It'll motivate us all! :D

Caralyn, that is AWESOME! :hurray: Congratulations on completing your goal! I'm seriously considering starting to run, and you're an inspiration!

Also, I agree with the others; the pic you attached needs to be your new avatar! It'll motivate us all! :D

a) You should definitely JUST DO IT! What a beautiful time of the year to start (well, here in Canada, anyway, after that LONG winter!)

b) I tried changing the pic but I was having trouble. I'll have to have dh take a look at it. It was sweet that a few of you suggested that.

Thanks to everyone for their congrats! Honestly, it feels like a new baby has arrived, I'm so giddy with excitement!

Caralyn