Menu

Suggestions for AP review books to prepare for exams

My daughter is taking AP Biology, AP Statistics, and AP United States History courses. In addition to her course work and the review that is being provided in class, we are wondering if there are good, concise review books for these courses that she can work on outside of class.

Thanks for any help,

Margaret

My son took the AP Bio test last year. He used Five Steps to a Five and the AP prep book that was affiliated with the Campbell text which he had used for the course.

I took Gwen in VA's advice and dragged my son to the test book section of Barnes and Noble, asking him to find review guides that would appeal. We were turned off by the Princeton Review guide which focused on what steps a student needed to accomplish for a 3. But, having said that, we have noted that students on sites like College Confidential often like the Princeton Review guides for AP classes.

Recommendation: I would have your daughter look over the Lab Bench lab series online. If you were in the same situation that we were in, not having a respirometer for home use, etc., it helped to see these twelve required AP labs virtually.

Oh boy--your daughter has a lot on her plate! I wish her well on those exams.

Jane

My dd did AP Bio, AP US History and AP Computer Science AB last year. These are the prep books that she used for those first 2 exams:

AP Bio -- Cliff's AP Biology, ISBN: 0470097647

AP US -- United States History by Newman and Schmalbach, ISBN: 1567656021

She got 5s on both of those exams. I'm giving that data just so that you can weigh those prep book choices.

Jan

Which review book is best does depend somewhat on personal preference. Even my kids don't always like the same review books! Different review books take very different approaches, cover the material differently, etc.

If possible, having your child look over a variety of them and then buy the two that he likes best.

Best wishes on all the exams. Your child will have a very intense two months ahead! :grouphug: