Menu

Videotext Math... What if I've already done Pre-Algebra?

I would suggest that your son watch all the lessons; he wouldn't need to do all the problems, obviously. The quizzes which go with each lesson are short; perhaps he could watch a lesson and take a quiz, and you might find he could get through a couple per day without it taking too much time.

I've loved Videotext. We're just finishing module E of the Algebra course. I am planning on spending some time on ALEKS since he'll finish Module F before the end of the year. I'll use ALEKS to check for any gaps, though my husband (literally a 'rocket scientist') hasn't seen any. Although he hasn't seen it in as much detail as I have, since I -- the farthest thing from a rocket scientist -- get to be math teacher. That's why I love it: first because *I* don't need to know the math for it to be effective, and secondly, because for the first time in my life, I'm understanding it, too.

I plan on using the Geometry course beginning next year, and I'm eager to see if it will be as successful for us.

I hope it goes well for you.

The 6 modules aren't clearly divided. I agree with Grace is Sufficient -- you can move as quickly or as slowly as you want or need to with Videotext. I'd start from the beginning.

We really like Videotext here. Ds completed the algebra series and is now nearing the end of Module C in their geometry program. Dd is almost finished with Module C in algebra. I like it for several reasons, not the least of which is that I've finally learned how to do word problems!

Some have said that there's not enough review in Videotext, but I haven't found that to be true for us. There are tests at the end of every unit, and my children take Form A for practice and then Form B for the test. This helps them review. And so many of the concepts are used throughout the course as they build on each other. Their website also provides extra practice problems that have been helpful when my children are having difficulty with something.

I like the frequency of quizzes, too. That helps me to see if they're really "getting" it.

There's not that much pre-algebra in it and it's integrated into the first module of the product. You could move through it quickly by way of review, or just scan and skip if you think your child knows it thoroughly. My son had done Saxon 1/2 the year before he started Videotext and he didn't complain that there was that much repitition.

Regena