Menu

What is the best free online resource for learning to play chess?

I have no idea how to play chess but ds7 wants to learn. It will be one of his afternoon activities for this spring term. :) I need it to be completely independent so that I can use that time to get my housework done. Dh will be the one to play with him to reinforce what he's learning.

We have a basic chess set my mil gave us but our budget is gone for any expensive purchases.

Thanks in advance!

If you have any budget to get a computer program, Fritz and Chesster is great and is very independent. It would definitely be something your son could do by himself.

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Chess-Fritz-Chesster/dp/B0000950SM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230961552&sr=8-1

I put in a link to it at amazon, but many stores are going to have it for less because it isn't new.

Jenne

It's not free but not too expensive -- a game called "No Stress Chess" which I got on Amazon for about $12.99 this Christmas. It has been a big hit with my 8yo. It has many different levels of play which culminate in the actual game of Chess, but starting out with easier levels definitely helps!

• 1 year later...
It's not free but not too expensive -- a game called "No Stress Chess" which I got on Amazon for about $12.99 this Christmas. It has been a big hit with my 8yo. It has many different levels of play which culminate in the actual game of Chess, but starting out with easier levels definitely helps!

We used this and it's really great. My kids and I now play real chess and really enjoy it.