Menu

Where does physical education go on a high school transcript?

I have ER's academic record divided by subject on his transcript, rather than by year/grade. I just realized I left physical education off his transcript. Funny -- he's already been accepted by his college choices, and I'm just now noticing it! I want to correct the oversight on his final transcript. Should I include it with the sciences, as in "health & physical education"? BTW, his p.e. credit is for bowling. For the past year, he has bowled in a league (once or twice a week), and I've decided to count this as a p.e. credit (1/2 credit, actually).

My children are gymnasts, but I haven't listed that as phys ed but as extra curricular. That way, it looks like the after school varsity level sport that it is comparable to, making my children look like the athletes they are. Under extra curriculars, I wrote, "Men's Gymnastic Team, competed at the regional level". I also put "Snowboarding". I, too, am doing transcripts by subject, not year. I put in a physical education catagory and listed a one credit course, Rockclimbing, since he has had some formal instruction in that.

I did a Health and Physical Education section as I had my older son complete a full year in each of those. The school he's at now has that sort of section, also, and kids can continue with "fitness and conditioning" classes if they want extra credits in this area. Sex ed classes and life skills classes would also fit well in this category.

Regena

I decided to put it with his science courses, in a section labeled "Natural & Applied Sciences". My reasoning is that, in addition to the bowling, ER has done enough other stuff to have earned at least a 1/2 credit in "Health & Physical Education", which is what I'm calling it: he regularly does strengthening exercises, he has participated in an outdoor skills program (archery, skeet shooting, canoing, kayaking & compassing) for the past two summers, he has learned about nutrition & diet and has done some meal planning & cooking, and he has taken an alcohol & drug abuse awareness course (required in our state for teens to get their driver's licenses).

I did a Health and Physical Education section ...

Regena

I gave my son 1/2 credit last year for power skating lessons, reading the monthly Nutrition Action Newsletter, working on general cooking skills, and preparing for a backpacking trip by making and testing various lightweight alcohol stoves. Trips in this category included the aforementioned backpacking trip and a snowboarding trip to the mountains (lesson included with the latter).

Initially I wasn't going to list this, but after some discussion on the old board concerning how many state require some form of PE/health, it seemed reasonable to include this category on his transcript.

Jane