9 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 mckittre

mckittre

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

OK, so I'm totally promoting something my kid loves, but I think there might be other geeky game-type kids on here who might love it too, so I will. The more kids, the more fun for all.

Homeschool Chess Club

They run everything through a secret FB group and through a club on chess.com

A chess coach in Arizona started an online club for homeschool kids and has been running a "summer camp" that my son's been part of for the past couple months, with live online tournaments, video lessons, a FB group with discussion and puzzles, and lots of opportunity for kids to challenge the other kids. The kids range from beginner to pretty good and I think most are 6-13 yrs old, with a lot in the 8-10 yr old range. 

Video chess instruction and puzzles are pretty easy to find online -- kids to play games against are not so easy to find, so having the club has been great. There's going to be a fall semester too (we'll do it again for sure), and I think it's cheaper if you sign up in the next couple weeks.

• rushhush08 likes this

#2 Lucy the Valiant

Lucy the Valiant

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1764 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Oooohhhh, thank you!

#3 rushhush08

rushhush08

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

Thank you for this one! I think i will enroll my youngest, if Europeans are being accepted :) 

#4 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:58 PM

ohhh! This is perfect. My son took a chess class over the summer for 3 weeks and is super interested and asked to take the class again. This totally fills that niche.

#5 Julie of KY

Julie of KY

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3346 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

This sounds great.

#6 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

awww....it's 8 AM PST for the live lesson. Hubby just nixed this because our kiddo is not a morning person. I think this is the link to signing up for the fall with details about how this works and pricing. 

http://events.r20.co...edp71j448a0dfbb

Edited by calbear, 06 August 2017 - 12:27 PM.

#7 callapidder

callapidder

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

They run everything through a secret FB group and through a club on chess.com

Can you tell me how the FB part works for the kids? Do kids just use their parent's account?

Thanks!

Edited by callapidder, 08 August 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#8 Jordotrom

Jordotrom

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

My son also did this and loved it this summer!
Kids just use parents' facebook account and we never watch the lesson "live" as we are sleeping. We watch it later in the day or a few days later...
it's been great!
  • callapidder likes this

#9 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

@jordotrom...that's good to know. It was unclear whether or not the session was recorded to watch later in the description. Off to talk to DH again about this.

#10 mckittre

mckittre

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:46 AM

Yes, my kid usually was asleep for the lessons too, but it was totally fine to watch them later. The tournaments happened later in the day, which were the only things he really needed to be live for.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chess