Menu

link to Heathermomster's IM instructions?

Gonna teach you to fish. :)  To site search, type the terms plus site:welltrainedmind.com

So if you type "heathermomster metronome site:welltrainedmind.com" into your google bar, you get 

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=heathermomster+metronome+site:welltrainedmind.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hit #1 has the instructions. 

Calling Heathermomster or another metronome guru - The Learning Challenges Board - The Well-Trained Mind Community

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth

This is what everyone is referring to??

Son's IM went something like this...

Set the metronome for 54 BPM.

Week 1 - straight clapping for 20 minutes, 5 times per week

Week 2 on out, 5 days per week

• straight clapping 5 minutes
  • 5 minutes of bouncing a basketball to the beat
  • 5 minutes clap, right stomp, left stomp
  • 5 minutes right thigh slap, left thigh slap, right stomp, left stomp

DS hated it BTW and did this for 6 weeks maybe. I imagine the added variety forces them to concentrate and auto correct when they start to drift.

Yup! Deceptively simple. And then, when that gets easy, you can add in digit spans, distractions (noisy kids, radio...), etc. I think I mention that in some of the posts. My thinking, when we did it, was that we were trying to merge motor planning, word retrieval, and ability to hold your thoughts, and ability to handle distractions. Those are all the skills you need to come together for writing to work, and indeed after doing that my dd's writing took off.

For the op, my ds couldn't clap AT ALL when we started, not a single clap. He'd go into hyper clap. For him, I had some reduced activities, like clapping while I touched letters of the alphabet on an alphabet puzzle. 

So I don't know which dc this is for, but, like Heather is saying, there's a lot you can do with it to modify and adapt and make it custom, stuff a therapist would do, stuff you can invent. I found that almost anything you invented turned out to be useful, because you're harnessing that part of the brain.

I think all my school-age kids could use it.  The 6 YO to maybe help with his fluency, and the older two to help them focus.  I'm not sure I could get the younger two to do it though.

I've done a little bit of RAN work with the boys with some pages I got off Teachers Pay Teachers and they are so slow...14 seconds a page is the fastest they go.  DD's fastest is 12 seconds. I can do the pages in 6 seconds.  Idk how much that has to do with the 6 YOs fluency issues though, because he's just as fast as his brother and the 8 YO is much more fluent than he is.