Menu

advanced language lessons for 7th grader?

Would you use ALL with a child who'll be in 7th grade, and has a good grammar backgournd?  (FLL, Memoria Press at grade level, MCT Island + some town). 

thank you for input!  I'd like to not-use the MP grammar going forward, but can keep it if ALL isn't going to be appropriate. 

ETA: I'm assuming that the ALL released this year will _not_ be at a good level for this child, and I'll have to save it for the second fellow.  But am hoping that it would be okay!

Edited by serendipitous journey

You mean the logic-stage grammar from Well-Trained Mind? If so, you can take a look at the course descriptions they've got listed on the Academy site and see if any of the levels would be a good fit for your student. I think they have course descriptions listed for Basic, Intermediate and Advanced, so all the material for those three should be available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Kiara, thank you so much for explaining that -- I'd not realized that all the levels are being used by the Academy this year, and so would of necessity be available! 

I found the course descriptions you suggested on the WTM Academy's Writing and Grammar page.  All three courses use the core handbook and Student Workbook & Key 1 and you can download sample syllabi from the course pages.  

I am wondering what will be added by future workbooks & keys, with numbers higher than 1? At any rate, the courses using these books are:

Basic: For students who have a solid understanding of basic grammar concepts. Builds on foundational skills and explores the definitions and functions of all parts of speech, reinforces mechanics, enhances understanding of verb tenses, and practices fundamental skills in diagramming. 

Intermediate: English grammar course for students who have an understanding of parts of speech and their functions but have not studied more advanced sentence structure. We will cover phrases, clauses, complex sentence structure, sentence transformations, and advanced diagramming. By the end of the course, students will be brought up to high-school level competency in grammar skills.

Advanced : A truly advanced English grammar course for students who have mastered basic and intermediate concepts but have not studied advanced sentence structure and function. We will cover modifiers, advanced verbs, troublesome grammatical elements, and diagramming.

Yeah, I don't know. I would have expected Basic to use workbook 1, Intermediate to use workbook 2, and Advanced to use workbook 3, or something. You could probably contact them and inquire about that. It might be that because they're new courses they don't have prerequisites, and so all start at the beginning and move at different speeds? But I'm not sure what the more advanced levels would do when they ran out of workbook 1.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kiara, thank you so much for explaining that -- I'd not realized that all the levels are being used by the Academy this year, and so would of necessity be available!

I found the course descriptions you suggested on the WTM Academy's Writing and Grammar page. All three courses use the core handbook and Student Workbook & Key 1 and you can download sample syllabi from the course pages.

I am wondering what will be added by future workbooks & keys, with numbers higher than 1? At any rate, the courses using these books are:

Basic: For students who have a solid understanding of basic grammar concepts. Builds on foundational skills and explores the definitions and functions of all parts of speech, reinforces mechanics, enhances understanding of verb tenses, and practices fundamental skills in diagramming.

Intermediate: English grammar course for students who have an understanding of parts of speech and their functions but have not studied more advanced sentence structure. We will cover phrases, clauses, complex sentence structure, sentence transformations, and advanced diagramming. By the end of the course, students will be brought up to high-school level competency in grammar skills.

Advanced : A truly advanced English grammar course for students who have mastered basic and intermediate concepts but have not studied advanced sentence structure and function. We will cover modifiers, advanced verbs, troublesome grammatical elements, and diagramming.

This is exactly what I want to know. I will also have a 7th grader next year with MCT background. We plan on ALL next year, but I don't want four more years of grammar.

• Like 1