Menu

Russian School of Math

Running a search on this topic in this forum didn't come up with anything. I hear a lot here about aops but I've never heard anything about the Russian school of math. Does anyone have any experience with it? We don't have one locally, but I noticed they have online classes.

Running a search on this topic in this forum didn't come up with anything. I hear a lot here about aops but I've never heard anything about the Russian school of math. Does anyone have any experience with it? We don't have one locally, but I noticed they have online classes.

Friend of mine takes her boys to this school and she recommended it to me.  We haven't tried it yet though, as I am hoping my eldest will be chosen for the maths club next autumn to represent his school (it's completely free). In case he is not in a list I think I will go for this one too, not AopS. 

Edited by rushhush08

I'm also interested in them and find the lack of info about them and their courses a little discouraging.

My kids school participated in an online math competition that they had and my youngest scored internationally competitive for his grade/age range. My eldest scored nationally competitive.

I'm very vaguely thinking of putting them in the online classes, but the lack of info about them is a HUGE turn off for me.

We chose other options when my child was doing math groups, so I don't have direct experience. If you go to their website, there are links to more than a half dozen articles about their program.

The Russian School of Math is very popular in my area as a weekly supplement class for kids enrolled in public school, especially grades 4-8. Of the 9 kids in my child's public charter school grade 7 advanced Algebra class this year, 6 were also enrolled in RSM.

My kid expressed frustration that the RSM kids had already covered all of the material in RSM before the their Algebra class got to it, so the 3 non-RSM kids always felt at a disadvantage and were more reluctant to ask questions. But, when I asked my kid if they wanted to try RSM, they said basically: No Way! My classmates hate it and say their parents force them to go.

I have heard of a few homeschool families in my area who go there, but they don't allow the online option if you live near a center, so I haven't heard any feedback for the online program.

• Like 1

In the past, I've spent hours on their site and combed the internet for reviews, videos etc. I've read every article about the program, and watched a couple of videos but I don't find them to be the kind of informative that helps me understand the program to know if it's a good fit for my kid, or a good use of my money.

There are no course descriptions or samples of the materials or a scope and sequence to let me know what they are doing.

I don't know. I feel like the things I've found (articles, videos) constantly talk AROUND the program, instead of directly stating what they do and what steps/milestones they take, etc.