Menu

Apologia Advanced Physics as first physics course

tj_610

So, the latest of numerous threads I've begun lately...

Has anyone used Apologia Advanced Physics as a first high school physics course for gifted kid? Apologia recommends it as a second course, but if it's supposed to be an AP Physics 1 and 2 equivalent, I think those are intended for accelerated first-time algebra-based physics courses. It's my DS' idea; I'm fine giving him their normal physics and I can talk him into whatever; he wants to take AP physics w/calculus in 12th.

Thanks!

Are you committed to Apologia? I think the Novare Accelerated Physics and Chemistry is a much better textbook in terms of content and rigor. Their Introductory Physics book is non-algebra based so it is not as intensive. Wilson Hill, Memoria Press, and The Potters School use these texts for their 8th/9th grade physical science courses. WH and TPS uses the Accelerated text for their honors level classes. 

I have not heard good things about Apologia's high school texts as being adequate prep for AP even though Apologia says they are enough.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

No, not committed, though we've found Apologia middle school texts and high school biology to be good (I'm a biology major MD, DW a medical technologist before motherhood). DS used Wyle's Discovering Design with Chemistry this year. I think it does a good job. Frankly, it's hard to know how rigorous all of them are with DS; he aces everything including AoPS math, online courses, etc. We've never "outsourced" science since it's DW's and my strongest subject. I'll check out your recommendation, thanks! I think an "honors but not AP" physics would be about right for his other workload.

I agree about Dr. Wile's Discovering Chemistry! So much better than his original textbooks at Apologia. Apologia's Chem 3rd edition is definitely not to my liking. I find the Biology text lacking as it does not cover human anatomy which I would like to see in a college prep high school biology textbook. 

• Like 1

I hear you. I think Apologia's "Advanced Biology" course covers human stuff. I will say this. As a biology major who then went to medical school, human biology/anatomy/physiology was simply not a part of my college curriculum. When applying to med school, they actually discouraged applicants from taking college human biology. Such classes were reserved for nursing, PT and similar programs. Even my physiology college course was specifically titled ANIMAL physiology LOL. I did take some grad student courses in human-specific biology. But other than that, it really wasn't highlighted.

Anyone else out there who's used Apologia Advanced Physics? With or without taking AP Physics 1 or 2 tests afterwards?

Edited by tj_610

I have not done what you are suggesting, but my daughter wasn't a science lover.  I took Physics 1& 2 recently, so I just compared the texts of the two Apologia Physics texts to my college texts.  It looks like if BOTH texts are done, it is equivalent to AP Physics 1 & 2.  The order of the material was a little different.  Some of the material that was in my Physics 1 class was split up into both Apologia texts, but the same is true of the material that was in my Physics 2 class.  I think that the Apologia texts try to give a good overall Physics course that touches all the topics, but not as in-depth as a college course would require. Plenty of kids need a general Physics course.  On the other hand by the end of the Advanced course they run back through the topics to close any gaps and add all the depth necessary to take the AP tests.  In my Physics 1 course, we were more in- depth with each topic, but did not cover all the topics in one semester.  The Physics 2 course continued on with the other topics, but we completed them as we got to them.  We didn't have review from the previous semester.  We kept covering new ground.  It takes both Apologia texts to equal the two college courses.

Some people say that the Advanced text is very hard, but I think that a bright, motivated kid who has a physics type of mind could go through both books somewhat faster than two years if he desired. If he went through both books, it would make an AP calculus-based Physics course really easy.  My course was Algebra-based, but I watched lectures that were calculus-based and it was easy to modify the methods.  The concepts are all the same.

• Like 1

Irene Lynn, thanks much. That's a helpful post. DS is "a bright, motivated kid who has a physics type of mind". I really just want him to enjoy a 1st high school physics course without being over-taxed (I've sought counsel on this in other threads). I don't even plan for him to take AP Physics 1 or 2 tests afterwards. He aspires to take AP physics with calculus in 12th grade, so I just want to prepare him well enough for that. The College Board and independent sources advise against doing "all the AP physics courses"; i.e., don't take 1 and 2 if you intend to take any with calculus.

8FillTheHeart - thank you for that recommendation. You've been a help to me in this and other threads lately!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up, we are going to use the edX Ride University class.

1) It's free, including text!

2) Self-paced.

3) Video lectures that seem well done.

4) AP-specific prep.

5) Can customize to use as a year or combine with AP Physics 2; DS is stepping up rigor substantially for 11th grade due to his ambitions, and we're going to play it by ear; if he gets overwhelmed, we will slow it down and let him do AP Physics C in 12th if he loves physics (he's taking calculus BC in 11th). Three of his other classes are online and will not have much flexibility.

6) It's free! (except AP test costs).