Menu

Sonlight Language Arts 8th Grade

I'm considering Sonlight Core 100 for my 8th graders and since Literature books are included, I'm thinking about getting the LA to go along with it.

I know past editions of SL LA weren't well favored by the users of this forum, but SL changes things pretty frequently, so I'm hoping they've improved it.

I'd love to know your opinion of SL LA in more recent years?

Thanks so much!

I like it for the upper levels. I have a dd currently doing Core 300 with the LA, and one of my older kids told me that, although she didn't really appreciate it at the time, she realizes now that it was worthwhile doing all those writing assignments. #thankgoodnessforthat ;)

Edited by LindaOz
  • Like 1

Were doing Core 100 for 9th grade this year. We like it, but the literature is lacking. Let me explain that better..

We are using a beloved 2008/9 guide which has a much different & beautiful literature book list with some real American classics on it. It's why I didn't upgrade my IG. My IG is old enough that the Lit & the History are all in one beautiful guide vs having to buy the seperate ones as is required now if you buy brand new.

The literature itself are beautiful choices & ones that were on my list for my boy {Call Of The Wild, Red Badge Of Courage, Tom Sawyer, Sounder, etc.} & he's enjoying all of them. In fact his favourite thus far has been Tom Sawyer & he's desperate to make time to read Huckleberry Finn because he doesn't like leaving a series unfinished.

However, the Literary "devices" "analysis" is deeply lacking, imho, with SL. I would expect so much more at this level than what is being offered. Simple questions that have absolutely no meaning "What was .. doing & why?" are pointless questions to be asking a high schooler, & this core was originally created for 9th grade despite SL pushing it for 8th grade of late in their effort to sell more cores per customer. There are 2 pages {4 front & back} about Literary Terms, & then a simple chart to show rising action, climax, & resolution. Within the Lit Guide the student is asked to decide if the characters are flat or rounded & then to decide the theme of the book.

The only other analysis that they get is if they are using the writing component of the SL guide.. We aren't because we are using a more in-depth writing programme. I have viewed the writing assignments & without guiding the students in the steps to take they want them to churn out 1-2 page papers & so on. 

To be honest I'd love to see them rework the literary guides for the high school levels, but the companies focus is on the lower years. It's a shame, but my guess would be that they sell more lower grades than higher grades. As for us, we'll be switching to something else next year that will do a better job with the literary component. ;)