Menu

Dyslexia or dyscalculia

LLMom

My daughter is dyslexic. I am having trouble telling if some of her math glitches are from the dyslexia or maybe something different like dyscalculia. Seems the symptoms are similar. One big thing she does is that she constantly forgets what math symbols mean especially division if written with the line and 2 dots. She will always multiply. She sometimes confuses adding and subtracting as well. Also, she struggles with math facts which I know is typical of dyslexia. She seems to understand the process of math fairly well so I don't know. Is it something you would look into?

What you are seeing MIGHT be a vision issue, possibly visual acuity or possibly developmental vision.  I have developmental vision issues and sometimes have a serious problem distinguishing between the symbols.  My visual acuity issues were corrected with glasses.  My developmental vision issues are more complex.  Glasses really don't effectively address all of those issues.

Dyscalculia is more about lack of basic subitization/number sense, lack of a sense of the passage of time, struggles with measurement, etc.  Is she understanding the concepts underlying the basic operations? If you tell her what the symbol actually is can she do the math?  

If you give her two die and one has three dots on it and the other has two dots does she know there are five dots all together without counting or does she have to count each dot to know there are five?