Menu

Online academy with classes for 8-high school with more fun flavor than TPS?

Obviously, I value seriousness in education.

However, reading the book list for 8th grade for English 2 at TPS is like reading some kind of manual on "how to get depressed."  I just don't like the overall flavor of the academy especially in their literature choices, and that's my daughter's strongest subject.

Can you recommend a homeschool online provider that has a rigorous but more "fun," "interesting" maybe out of the box flavor?  My creative daugther is super sensitive and while she cannot avoid all sad or harsh content, I think it needs to be balanced with more light, fun, or creative literature selections.

Hmmm... While I do agree that a lot of American Lit and Modern Lit courses are loaded down with very depressing works, I just now went and looked at the course and I didn't think the Lit. list for The Potter School English 2 seems overly-weighted in that direction. Actually, it seems like a very intentional variety of types of genres and "mood" of works -- I only see 3 works out of the 12 that I would call depressing:

selected poetry

selected essays

The Importance of Being Earnest .  . ... . comedy

Animal Farm . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .  modern "fable" / depressing

Everyman. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . 16th cent. morality play

short stories:

"The Blue Carbuncle". . . . . . . . . .. .  . ..  mystery

"Toys of Peace". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .  humorous

"The Necklace". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .  realistic / depressing

"How Much Land Does a Man Need?"   moral fairy tale / tragedy

"Split Cherry Tree". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . realistic

"Lady or the Tiger". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .original "you decide" ending

"Masque of the Red Death". . . . . . . . . . . horror

"Gift of the Magi". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   humorous / poignant

"Thank You, Ma'am" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . poignant with humor

TPS also has some Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Literature & Film courses, but those are for grades 9+ or grade 10+.

As I recall from previous threads, you've mentioned your DD is on the young end of her grade? Perhaps she would do best with a less formal/rigorous course in the middle school grades, which would allow her to enjoy works in the genres that are of special interest to her.

- What does she esp. enjoy reading?

- Could you just pull together a list of books and get individual lit. guides and enjoy doing Lit. together with your DD?

- Or host some of it as a book club?

- Or go in with another homeschool mom with a middle school DD and do something together?

- What are your local homeschool co-op options?

For some online class ideas, what about:

- Brave Writer Arrow and Boomerang book club classes on titles of particular interest?

- the Classical Learning Resource Center: Greek Myth & Lit class?

- an Online G3 class? -- Lord of the RingsLightning Lit 7; Lightning Lit 8

- Excelsior: Lit. & Comp. II? (Alice in Wonderland; Story of My Life; Much Ado about Nothing)

- Big River Academy: A Journey Through Narnia?

- Memoria Press: Middle School Lit. II? (Treasure Island, Wind in the Willows, As You Like It, Tom Sawyer)

If you can provide more info about what DD's interests are and what your specific needs are for a class, we might better be able to provide ideas. I'm just "scatter gunning" ideas out there for you in this post to start some brainstorming. ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

HSLDA has a class for 8th/9th graders called Foundations in Writing that "might" be what you're looking for.  It's focus is writing not literature, though, so they have fewer literature selections.  They use Little Women, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, and a Shakespeare play. There are also many smaller readings, but those are current events, and various things like that for their writing assignments (they also read Lively Art of Writing). 

• Like 3

HSLDA has a class for 8th/9th graders called Foundations in Writing that "might" be what you're looking for.  It's focus is writing not literature, though, so they have fewer literature selections.  They use Little Women, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, and a Shakespeare play. There are also many smaller readings, but those are current events, and various things like that for their writing assignments (they also read Lively Art of Writing). 

I've been wondering about the HSLDA classes!  I'm not a big HSLDA fan, but I imagine the individual classes/instructors could be good.

Has your student taken this class?  What do you think of it? Will your student be continuing with HSLDA for English (or another subject) next year?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wondering about the HSLDA classes!  I'm not a big HSLDA fan, but I imagine the individual classes/instructors could be good.

Has your student taken this class?  What do you think of it? Will your student be continuing with HSLDA for English (or another subject) next year?

Sorry!  I've been off the forum and just saw this.  My ds is taking it now.  For him, it has been a lot of work (quantity-wise).  However he is not a fast worker.  He has enjoyed the literature selections, the class discussions on the literature (which are weekly), and really likes the teacher (Mrs. Hardy-she's super sweet!!).  I think each of the writing assignments have been very good. They used Lively Art of Writing to teach essay writing, which I thought did a good job in teaching how to write a thesis statement etc. They are also using Analytical Grammar. My only complaint would be that I thought some weeks there was just too much work, considering it's an intro to writing class for 8th and 9th and not even their "English 1".  This is our first experience with an online class, so maybe this is typical. For example, one week he had a grammar assignment daily, read 5 chapters in Jane Eyre with discussion questions that involved finding quotes etc., a creative writing assignment, an essay, and a research paper w/ works cited (first draft due.)  

That said, I do think it is an excellent class.  I'm considering putting my other son in it next year for his 8th grade year.  

• Like 2