Menu

Deductive Reasoning/Logical Statements for Elementary?

My kids are really getting into the logic statements in the "Deductive Reasoning" section of Primarily Logic (http://www.prufrock.com/Primarily-Logic-P203.aspx). I'd like to do more of it with them, but it seems that most logic curriculum is for grades 7 or higher, and they are both still in elementary. I know that Prufrock Press has more books for the elementary level (like Logic Countdown), but they only have a few pages on these things. I'd like something that I could use once a week or so for a whole year that covers this stuff.

I know that these topics are typically not done until logic stage, where abstract reasoning is easier. But my kids are both interested in it now, so I'd like to add it in as a fun extra. Any ideas of what's out there and age appropriate for elementary aged kids?

They have something like 25 puzzles in them (ETA: I mean the Logic Safari books... the Countdown series has less than ten in each book, but they have a full year's curriculum if you do one page a week, it's just that it covers a lot of different areas), so you could easily do 1.5 a year if you were just doing a puzzle a week for the school year. Or one a year and have a few other puzzles some weeks.

There are other deductive reasoning puzzle books out there but I like how incremental and well written the Prufrock ones are. They're just the right level.

Also, sudoku is a good deductive reasoning exercise for kids. And Minesweeper.

Edited by Farrar

I'm not referring to the logic grid puzzles of Logic Safari (although my kids love those, too). The section they're enjoying is the All Statements, No Statements, If-Then Statements, Syllogisms, etc. At dinner they will make up statements and try to see if they can use them to prove other statements. One that they came up with today was, " 'All' statements cannot be reversed. If a statement cannot be reversed, is it an 'all' statement?" They laughed and laughed at the silliness of that one.