Menu

VideoText: Is it complete now?

I remember reading here that the Geometry: A Complete Course, which includes geometry, trig, and pre-calculus, was not complete yet, and that they seemed to be really stalled on completing those final modules.  I just looked on their website, and they are selling all of the modules A-F now, so does this mean everything is ready?  Has anyone used it since it's been complete?

No, it's not ready. Ask me how I know. :mad:

Honestly, I love Tom Clark. I love the way he teaches math. I would seriously buy just about any product he puts out. It's totally worth it as a Geometry course (and Algebra I & II if you do the Complete Algebra course).

But he should change his website so people aren't confused about what they're getting. If you buy the Geometry course, you will pay full price for the whole thing, but you don't actually get the last module. You just get a promise that you can access it when it's available. Which he assured me was going to be really soon when we bought Algebra in 2014 ... and again when we bought Geometry in 2015. I know, I know, shame on me.

So we're doing a separate Pre-Calculus course this year. Some of the topics will be review for DS, but not many.

• Like 3

That makes me mad, because that is really dishonest marketing.  I was really hoping that would be the ticket.  Aargh.  So which modules are actually complete?  I might buy them individually, but I don't want to pay for something I'm not getting yet.  I kind of don't want to keep supporting it, but at the same time, I like the product and think it's good.

• Like 1

That makes me mad, because that is really dishonest marketing. I was really hoping that would be the ticket. Aargh. So which modules are actually complete? I might buy them individually, but I don't want to pay for something I'm not getting yet. I kind of don't want to keep supporting it, but at the same time, I like the product and think it's good.

Everything except the last 2 units, Loci & Constructions and Trig is complete. Not sure which modules that is.

It's still excellent as a Geometry course. It just shouldn't be marketed as a trig and precalc course. :(

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Everything except the last 2 units, Loci & Constructions and Trig is complete. Not sure which modules that is.

It's still excellent as a Geometry course. It just shouldn't be marketed as a trig and precalc course. :(

Why does he even try?  

For a traditional approach Trig is usually covered in Algebra 2 and Precalc (with a smattering in Geo).

Integrated Math spreads Trig through multiple years.

Why does he even try?

For a traditional approach Trig is usually covered in Algebra 2 and Precalc (with a smattering in Geo).

Integrated Math spreads Trig through multiple years.

The Algebra and Geometry courses are structured such that they each take 1.5 to 2 years to complete and by the time you complete both of them you've completed all the topics from Algebra I and II, Geometry, and Trig/Precalculus, just in a nontraditional sequence.

Except, of course, without the last module on trig ... so you really haven't.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Just curious if this ever got resolved. Now that it's almost 2017, I wonder if the course is complete per the description. In looking over the website it doesn't appear anything is currently missing: http://videotext.com/geometry-a-complete-course/

Secondly, can you describe what you liked about the Geometry course itself? How well did it cover proofs? How were they graded? Was this the 'online' version or the original?

It looks like you moved to AoPS from there. Was it a relatively smooth transition?

Thanks,

Just curious if this ever got resolved. Now that it's almost 2017, I wonder if the course is complete per the description. In looking over the website it doesn't appear anything is currently missing: http://videotext.com/geometry-a-complete-course/

Secondly, can you describe what you liked about the Geometry course itself? How well did it cover proofs? How were they graded? Was this the 'online' version or the original?

It looks like you moved to AoPS from there. Was it a relatively smooth transition?

Thanks,

I'm not good enough with my phone to be able to link to the specific webpage, but on the shop/store portion of the website it says Module F is still in production. 😤

We absolutely loved the explanations in Video text. It is very conceptual and I felt like we were learning the "why" behind the various formulas and postulates and theorems. I wish I had learned math this way! Proofs were required in Geometry every day, several in fact. The program supplies the answers, although sometimes my DS took an alternate route of proving the theorems and I accepted those. The answers are provided, but the program doesn't do the grading for you. Either you have to grade them, or the student grades him/herself. This is actually what the author suggests, as it helps them see where they went wrong and they can correct their work and learn from their mistakes.

My DS went straight to AoPS (he did Intro to C&P and NT before going on to Precalc) with no problem. However he is an exceptionally strong math student and loves the discovery method it offers. My other DC would *not* have transitioned well to AoPS ... But then I would not have attempted it either because it would be a horrible fit for them! 😉 If your kid is a good fit for AoPS, then I would imagine they would transition from VT just fine.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I saw this on their FAQ page. Sounds like you can get some type a refund on Module F if you like, or possibly pre-production materials, whatever that entails. 

http://videotext.com/geometry-faqs/

Thank you to all who have inquired about the status of our Geometry Module F (containing Trigonometry and remaining Pre-Calculus topics).  It is certainly a blessing to have such a great interest in our programs, and we are grateful for all of you who have pre-ordered Module F and have exercised such great patience throughout the years.  While Geometry Module F is currently still in production, if your household will not be able to use it with future students, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-ALGEBRA, ext. 102 for a refund for the adjusted cost of Module F.  You may also contact us atcustomercare@videotext.com.  If you are currently ready for Geometry Module F and would like access to pre-production materials and information on how to proceed, please contact tom@videotext.com for further information.