Menu

Charlotte Mason and Using Videos?

Do you think she would have used videos in her curriculum had they been available when she was teaching?  I mean you can definitely categorize some videos as "living works" versus twaddle or the video version of a textbook.  

As someone who has one particular learner who needs to learn through visual means (meaning lots of videos, art, photographs),  I'm interested in figuring out what Charlotte would do with the abundance of visual media.

Just a random thought for a Monday morning....

• Like 1

I think you hit the key- there are GREAT movies, there are beautifully done, artful, documentaries. I don't think Mason would have eschewed from using them completely. Neither do I think she would have replaced all books with more modern means...but I think a reasonable person knows that.

I think she would have been 100% into Shakespeare via movie. We don't all have access to a playhouse, let alone a playhouse that actually does Shakespeare.

I DO think she would have used movies, but not 100% into Shakespeare via movie.

A lot of CM education is about seeing a lot of print and processing it, so Shakespeare would be important to see in print, too.

We use 1-2 movies per week. I love Vi Hart for living math and I like adding in good documentaries, especially for geography. Documentaries for animal information aren't so good, though, because they use thousands of hours of videos to make a really short movie, giving kids an inaccurate view of animals that can make them impatient with real ones.

Emily

I think she would have used some, but it would have been measured.  If you look at what she said about illustrated books, I think that is a good place to start. 

Places where diagrams or technical drawings are useful would likely have been the best candidates.  THings that are art in themselves to some extent.  Most places where textbooks were considered appropriate too. Oral work like poetry or theatre, would be possibilities.

But one of the very important things that she emphasized was the role of language, words, as being the medium for thought.  Even our thoughts about purely visual arts are organized through language and that was emphasized as part of enjoying them fully.  A significant difference between many modern visual media is that they are primarily visual and not language based - this is one of the things that can be challenging about them, we can take in ideas without the filter of subjecting the ideas to analysis through language.  This is why things we read may in many cases be less disturbing than seeing the same thing represented on tv.

Shakespeare is interesting I think in that even when attending a play, the language is very much a focus. That is the nature of the texts but also to some extent an effect of live theater as opposed to film.   I've tended in using videos to prefer ones that are videos of theater performances rather than those made of movies for that reason.  But even then, CM had the students read the plays as well as watch them, in order to really engage with them intellectually.

Human beings I think are naturally drawn to visual, non-verbal communications.  They speak to us very directly.  Language based ones on the other hand are largely unnatural, and by their nature are closely connected to rationality and logic.  It tends to be those faculties that require work and practice to develop.

I think she would have been ALL ABOUT IT . Especially instructional videos and documentaries.

But I also think it doesnt matter very much because it was out of her wheelhouse. I know literally 100% more about movies than cm did ha.

I think she would have been ALL ABOUT IT . Especially instructional videos and documentaries.

But I also think it doesnt matter very much because it was out of her wheelhouse. I know literally 100% more about movies than cm did ha.