Menu

Still deciding between IEW and CW

Suzybearybake

I had firmly decided that the IEW SWI and SWIC were the way to go until I started to realize that it would cost about $340 for one year of instruction. I currently own the syllabus for TWSS but not the DVDs. I have watched them and took copious notes. I tried to implement them but had trouble knowing when to move on to the next unit and got stuck in unit I or II. This is why I thought the SWI intensive would be a good fit. I don't know if that is in our budget. My question is with what I currently have is that enough to skip the DVD and just use the prepackaged writing lessons? Do they give me enough information to work from by themselves? What if I purchased Blended Structure and Style in Composition would it be as informative as the DVDs but cheaper ($35)? If this is the direction I go would I be better off just going the CW route. Which way would give my reluctant writer the best detailed instruction without breaking the bank or overwhelming mom? I want detailed instructions laid out for me but I don't want to have to spend so much time trying to figure out what to do that I never actually do it ( which is what happened with Spelling Power and IEW originally). Although I read significantly more than I post, I rely so much on the opinions and wisdom gleaned from this board. Thank you ladies, in advance.

Well, I knew someone who only bought the Blended Composition and Style in Composition book and used it. She said it guided you with examples of how to teach each unit. Afterall, this is the book that IEW is based on. She is not a video type of person though and gleans information better from a book. Some people would do better watching the TWSS DVDs.

If you want to save money you could buy the Blended Compostition and Style book along with one of the http://writing-edu.com/writing/theme.php themed programs, which would provide lessons for all 9 units and would cost you around $60 total. Or you could just get the TWSS and one of the themed programs which would save you the cost of having to buy the SWI and the SICC - $160 -- considerably less than the $340 you'd have to pay to get both the TWSS along with the SWI and the SICC.

Good luck. I'm in the same boat. I am definitely planning on using IEW but I'm trying to determine the best (and most affordable) option for my family. I'm leaning towards TWSS with a theme program (Ancient History Based Writing Lessons). There are samples at the IEW website. I live that the TWSS DVDs would be there to guide me and the theme based lessons would provide me with actual lessons for all 9 units. Like you, I considered the SWI and SICC but I just can't justify spending that much money. I think any of the alternate plans I mentioned would get you covered without breaking the bank.

Have you looked at the Lesson Plans that IEW has. I will be using the Ancient History ones for next year. This will plan out the year using all the elements taught in the IEW TWSS videos. These really help you to implement all of the TWSS without the expense of the SWIC and SWICC. I am really excited about using these next year.

Janis in DE

I purchase the SIC DVDs and syllabus for TWSS only the first year. I watched the DVD's with my son and then used the free lesson plans. We took extra weeks to practice the units covered.

This year I got a few other families to split the cost of the Continuation course. We meet together and watch the videos. We will finish just over half of the continuation course this year. Next year we will finish the Continuation Course and then I'll be comfortable giving content related assignments.

I paid a significant amount more than the other families so that I get to keep the DVD's to use for my other kids as they come up.

I must say that the money has been well worth it. I would never have been able to pull it off as well as Andrew Pudewa does. Plus the DVDs allowed me to put more time into other areas of study eliminating lots of frustration.

The theme based writing lessons are pretty self-explanatory. I think you could use them as a stand alone product. That has been my experience with a 5th grader using the Ancient History Based Writing Lessons. I would just start there. You could always go back and purchase TWSS if you felt you wanted or needed to.

Don't do what I did. I hesitated buying IEW because of the price and went with CW instead. We tried CW for a few months and found it to be lacking in a lot of areas. I borrowed an IEW dvd from a friend and it was amazing. I ended up buying IEW. CW is now sitting on my shelf!

Well, as of this week, I'm using both CW and the IEW theme Ancient History course. I love the idea of CW but find it hard to 'teach' with. We're now using it as a suppliment. :rolleyes: I picked up IEW theme Ancient History and love it. It tells me the structure of each piece of writing and includes some stylistic techniques. IEW does not go to the depth of CW but is far more managable. PLUS, I'm able to work with my 3 oldest children at the same time! I've asked my library to order the IEW DVDs through interlibrary loan to preview the seminar before I order, so there's another option. :D

I didn't want anything that would be so complicated that I needed to spend time and money watching a video before I could understand how to use it. I did however get to view some of the DVDs and still didn't like it.

I now have both CW Aesop and CW Homer. I'm finding it very easy to implement if I use the workbooks to lead us. The workbooks make it just about pick up and go for me. I do read thru the core book a head of schedule so I'm familiar with what's coming up, but that's it. At this point I rarely need to look at the core for Aesop.

Just thought I'd drop a different point of view.

I used CW some 2-3 years ago when it first came out before the student materials were available, and it was too much for my oldest and I. We used Wordsmith Apprentice for about 3/4 of a year, then went to IEW, and now I teach IEW in a co-op. I much prefer IEW of those three.

I have watched the TWSS tapes all the way through several times, and they are excellent. If you committ to watching them, they are a superb education unto themselves.

I also own the Webster book. If you decided to get it, I'd recommend posting to he IEW sale YahooGroup. I did that, and got it for about 1/3 of the price new. It's also helpful, but it's heavy reading with small print. I've read it through several times and still use it to quickly brush up when I start a unit, but I would say that Andrew Pudwa's DVDs are definitely easier to follow if you're going to write your own lessons. If you're going to use a theme-based book you could use the Webster text for background if you feel you need it. I currently teach with the new IEW Medieval book in co-op, and I do like having the Webster book to understand the foundational material. You could probably do without it though if it's just you and your children.

HTH!